Hull boat design doubt

Hi I have a wire hull design and I want to cover it with surfaces in order to make a solid and get calcullation from it so… what is the best way to create the surfaces???
Thank so much!!
Here is the wire design:

read the training manual level 1 .

1 Like

This isn’t a simple or straight forward process. Below are some hints.

Sweep2 using chine pairs and just the parts of the sections that lie between them.
Loft between transverse sections
Bow and stern are trickier, sometimes Networksrf can be helpful in those spots.
Over the years there have been similar requests, so have a search of the forum.

Upload the model and someone might have a go.

1 Like

I have done that but I dont know if im going to get problems when I join all the different surfaces.
Because my goal is to create a single surface with which I could make calculations.
Thank you so much!!

Hi DiegoKrause, where can I find this manual?
Thank you!

This thread may be relevant. Boat hulls with smoothly curve stems - how to model

How high quality do the surfaces need to be? Will you be using the surfaces only for calculations or also for other purposes?

A simple way to obtain a surface for calculation purposes from a set of curves is to use Patch. Experimenting with the the number of points in each direction and other Patch input parameters may be needed. However Patch will not exaclty follow kinks in curves. Frequently if there are kinks, such as below the rail in your model, the model can be divided into several parts and Patch used on the curves for each part. Be aware that it may be difficult to join the patched surfaces with watertight seams.

Another approach is to define one or more areas with 4 or possibly 3 or 2 boundary curves such that the boundary curves in whole or part are curves in the model. Create a surface using the boundary curves. Then use that surface as the input surface to Patch along with the remainder of the curves inside the boundary.

A third approach is to use Sweep2 with the keel and gunwale curve as rails and stem, station and transom curves as sections.

There is no single method which works for all boat shapes.

But before working on your boat model any more take time to go through the Users Manual, Level 1 Manual and Level 2 Manual which can be found at https://www.rhino3d.com/tutorials

Frequently it is not possible to create a single surface to cover a complex shape. You need to learn how to create surfaces which can be joined.

Please choose an appropriate Category and/or tag to allow for search indexing.

Read / review this :

Moved to Rhino for windows

I used sweep two curves using the sheer and fairbody as sweep curves and chosen sections to make the fill curves. This is an old design of mine that dates back to 1980! I found the original ink on mylar lines drawing I did in 1980 and had it scanned. The lines drawing had creases in it as it suffered some damage while stored. But, by fairing curves traced over the digital lines plan all came out reasonably well.

2 Likes

It looks amazing!
Did you have any problem in joining the different surfaces you created, and how do you join them?
Thank you so much!

You wouldn’t worry of joining the surfaces if you create them properly. Managing the degree and control point count.

Okey! Thank you all so much.
And sorry for being boring and tedious, I`m new and don´t know enough about the programme…so thank you for your patience :sweat_smile:

Good practice is to reduce the number of surfaces reasonably during the creating process. Also good practice is to keep the number of control points to a reasonable limit for any given surface such that you still get the desired result. Adding more than you need simply complicates matters. All the best, Rob

Also the fin keel was a separate two surface polysurface with the walls of the keel as one and the bottom of the keel as the second. I filleted the keel to the hull using the original fillet amount as found on the original hull lines plan. The rudder blade is simple but the rudder skeg and how it joined the hull was difficult to recreate accurately. I used network surface in that area.

I attempted to add this file with the original upload but it would not go…this is the original lines plan from which I worked.

Sorry for the delay. It seems very interesting. Would you mind if I try to reproduce this forms? I think I would improve if I tried to reproduce it