How to smooth this

@Modeler3D that is starting to look better. Because I use this process for detail that is usually fractions of a millimetre and more detailed I don`t worry about defects like you have there generally. That said I do not know why that has occurred but someone else might be able to tell you what is going on.

Why?

LOL the reason why I do not know why that has occurred is …I do not know :slight_smile:

I have never sought an answer because it has never been a problem for me. Someone else might have an idea and answer soon.

I use hightfield for very busy forms. If I want a simple clean shape (like the one in your photo) then I either model it in Rhino or T-splines.

1 Like

Thanks dear @sochin. I must use photoshop fot design this pattern. good to know. I will do it.

Thanks, @JayR. It is useful for another texture that I should design. I will use it.

@Meysam_Ebrahimi
Or you could check out an old post: How to make a 3d fingerprint from a flat scanned one
And download ZSurf4, its a great little software for heightfields from bitmap…

1 Like

Pascal @andy Do these displacement-commands at all work with 16 bit greyscale internally?
One never gets smooth displacement with just 256 levels of grey, it’s always ugly.

@hifred
ZSurf4 works with 32 bit images…

Sorry, I meant something else here. Ordinary image displayed on a computer have 3 colour channels + possibly an Alpha Channel. All four of these channels have 8 bit, meaning 256 levels of colour and in the case of the alpha channel 256 tones of grey. Together that’s 32 bit.

What I mean is 16bit per individual channel. Images with higher bit depth can store more colours and in the case of displacement maps a lot more tones of grey. Smoother gradients result in smoother displacement – given the input mesh is dense enough.

Zsurf is a simple utilitly which has been written at a time, when even Photoshop couldn’t handle high bit depths. It’s a safe bet that it can’t handle higher bitdepths than 8.

:o)

I have made the image in Photoshop and I have kept him in the tif format (qualitative).
Без имени-1
I use Heightfield, it is important to specify in Number of sample points size of the image. Result not very much:

And now it is necessary to use FitSrf with some accuracy and result already good:

But to excellent result - we apply Rebuild :smiley:

However, why in general artifacts appear?

@schultzeworks, @RichardZ, @wim, @nathanletwory, @pascal, @Helvetosaur

1 Like

Zsurf does handle higher bitdepths than 8 internally. Getting around the 8bit limitation is one of the main reasons for its existence.

I would imagine any internal processing would be done at higher bit resolution if its done on any computer built in the last 30 years. The question is does the result get stored in memory or on disk at a resolution higher than 8 bits

Hi jim,
I had actually hoped you wouldn’t read this :o) – I did not mean to sound disrespectful.

Ok, but you obviously still have to deal with the limitations of the 8bit input image.
You probably will yield more smoothness, but one can not swindle in additional detail by internal resampling.

Well, this cellulite looks like 8 bit to me…

This is true, but it is only a problem where the gradient is fairly flat.
You can also create images within Zsurf so those are high resolution from the start . The Text function will make very smooth surfaces R.3dm (775.8 KB)

I don’t know what that texture is. It doesn’t look like the banding you get from 8 bit. Might be some sort of dithereing.

i probably cant answer that to the fullest, but images are built up out of pixel and have a limitation through the amount of color differences the image can save, as pointed out here which has to do with the bitdepth and represents the color resolution.

the best solution without having to fitsrf too much and too rebuild i would suggest to keep the resolution of the image high in relation to the heightfield, so the jpg you showed on top is of course too small. after importing it into photoshop resizing it and using gaussian blur in 32 bit then reducing it back to 16 to import it into rhino, the image becomes instantly smooth with the best result using interpolate surface through samples. here both images have 80 x 80 points the left is the low resolution image on the right the high resolution.

of course if you turn up the number of points during the heighfield command it will try to get closer to the limitations of the image and will create a though finer but still rough surface. here 800 x 800

I would create a very high resolution height map instead of the low resolution you used. (I think the small dimples look like the separate pixels.) There probably will be still some artifacts, but the sampling will be more accurate.

@RichardZ, @nathanletwory, I use the size 1000x1000, I experiment with depth of color (I did as has told RichardZ) - result all the same bad: :frowning_face:

i described 800 x 800 points not pixel for a rough but precise surface, just in case that was not clear. all the numbers i described where points. take a high resolution image (i took 1400 x 1400 pixel at 125 x 125 mm for the heightfield) and decrease the amount of points in the heightfield command try 80 x 80 points for the surface just to see the difference. the result is a smooth surface.

If you are using the jpg format, the texture you are getting is due to the jpg compression scheme

To avoid the texture use an uncompressed omage format

1 Like

it makes a bit of a difference but its hardly relevant by the time you have reached a generally acceptable surface. in both cases below using 800 x 800 sample points an unwanted texture is being created. left the extra jpg artefacts, right the same image with a none compressed 16 bit PNG image.

below the same comparison with 80 x 80 points, left the jpg and on the the right the png the difference is already marginal.

i suggest to take an image which has a high resolution and lower the points till its smooth as you want.

That’s right. Converting the jpg to a different format doesn’t get rid of the jpg artifacts. He should not use jpg for storing the images.