How to prevent offset solid=yes from shrinking surfaces?

Me personally, I would never set that option to Yes, it would always be set to No.

@wim I think a shrink=no option is only useful if none of the original surfaces will be shrunk in the final result. If some still will (that’s also how I understood @chuck) , then it’s better to just save a copy of the original. Which I recommend @eobet doing anyways, because what if you need to make changes? You need to extract the original surfaces, which depending on the object in question can be very time consuming

Maybe a DeleteInput option makes more sense. I have to look into when it would be necessary to have a shrunk input surface in the result.

that’s already there

Sure enough. I just looked quickly and didn’t see it. You have to do Solid=yes on an open input.

@Chuck Why would it ever be necessary to have a shrunk input surface in the result if the input surface is a valid surface before OffsetSrf is executed? It would still be a valid surface after the command is executed.

My guess is OffsetSrf works by offsetting the untrimmed surface and offsetting the trimming edge curve, and then trims the untrimmed offset surface. In that case there may be instances where offseting the original untrimmed surface results in an invalid or otherwise undesirable untrimmed offset surface but offseting a shruken untrimmed surface is okay. Hence the shrinking of the input surface. In that case the code should not return a shruken input surface. Rather it should make an internal copy of the input surface and shrink the copy, not the input…

Yes, most likely. But that is not a sufficient reason to avoid checking.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Join, Booleans and FilletEdge shrink surfaces