How to handle Invalid polysurfaces

Hello, I am currently doing data conversion work, and there is a conversion error problem. The analysis reason may be the existence of Invalid polysurface in the original model. So how do I deal with this? How to operate rhino and how to implement opennurbs

1 Like

Hi -

You didn’t categorize your post and there’s not enough information for anyone to be able to give a sensible reply. I’m moving this to “Rhino Developer” for the time being but you’ll have to provide files, code, and a well-formulated question…
-wim

1 Like

this is invalid polysurface
stationRoof1.zip (15.0 MB)

1 Like

just like this

1 Like

This is the first time I’ve ever seen a polysrf being joined without touching

:thinking: :thought_balloon:

Exploding and rejoining, makes a mess right away …

Through further analysis, I’m seeing some render mesh issues:

I’m trying to improve the render mesh, but stuck in a long calculation :sweat_smile:

Yeah that calc took a while ( at least 30min ) and somem definitely weird here:

Thank you for taking so much time to help me analyze the problem. I’ve only recently started doing research, and I’m not very clear on commands and some definitions. So what is the main problem with the current model that causes invalid polysurface? render mesh? What instructions should I use to fix it?

1 Like

What is the cause of this problem

I’m not sure. I’d need to know what process derived these geometric entities.

Otherwise, I’d just have to try recreating them.

I’m not that familiar with ‘invalid polysrfs’.

I imagine they were created with GH or something or some other software or format…

These srfs seem to be all ‘trimmed’, so I’ll try altering them with the following tool to see if I can fix them:
https://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/7/help/en-us/index.htm#commands/refittrim.htm#(null)

Yeah that tool doesn’t seem to be advanced enough. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Here’s an example of the problems I think are present in this ‘invalid’ geometry:

After I run ‘explode’, ‘rebuild edges’, you can see how bad it really is:

Basically this geometry is ‘invalid’ because edges and vertices don’t line up. There might be other reasons, but this is what I see so far.

So, the best way to correct this would be at the source from which they were originally created because there’s so many of them – as if they were created parametrically with Grasshopper or something.