How to find non-manifold vertices?

Hi,

Recently, I encounter a problem that I wanna find non-manifold vertices from a mesh model like this figure. It is very important to conversion from FEA elements to Rhino meshes. Does anyone know how to find them?

Albert

Can you send me an example? I have a Python script that may do this. If I get it to work on your test case, I will send you the script.
Regards,
Terry.

1 Like

Hi, here is an example. Thanks a lot! :grin:
Regards,
Albert
Non-ManifoldVertices.3dm (80.0 KB)

Here is the starting mesh:

Here is the mesh after 191 non-manifold parts were removed:

Here are the non-manifold parts of the mesh:

Is this what you wanted?

You can look at these results in the .3dm file on the layers named Start Mesh, Cleaned and Non-Manifold.
ManifoldNonManifoldCleaned.3dm (104.5 KB)

You cannot make a good mesh out of mesh cubes that are overlapped as many edges are then connected to more than two faces. Do you want a mesh made out of only the external faces, with the internal faces removed? This may get you a mesh with only manifold edges (connected to no more than two mesh faces).

Regards,
Terry.

1 Like

Albert

I assume that you speak something since you post the issue in this class. If that something is C# I can provide tons of examples about anything imaginable … but you must be familiar with mesh elementary matters: what is a vertex? what is a topo vertex? a topo edge ? etc etc PLUS mesh connectivity.

For instance (alias mesh M, var MTV = M.TopologyVertices, var MTE = M.TopologyEdges):

For any topoVertexIndex (tv) - in the collection MTV get the connected faces indices.

List < int > fList = MTV.ConnectedFaces(tv).ToList();

Then do a classic custering in order to find the groups of faces that are separated with regard intersections of their topo vertices Lists:

If there’s 2 or more clusters around > this topo vertex is a bad one.

Of course there’s the Mesh[ ] pieces = M.SplitDisjointPieces(); and - for other purposes - the Mesh[ ] pieces = M.ExplodeAtUnweldedEdges();

Same kind of logic for finding edges that are connected with more than 2 faces or anything imaginable related with vertices, topo vertices, topo edges and faces. That said NEVER use a collection of vertices (var MV = M.Vertices;) since MTV indexing has nothing to do with MV indexing PLUS a topo vertex MAY be assosiated with more than one vertex (unwelded edges and the likes). That said a MeshFace at creation time is assosiated with … er … vertices (this appears LOL but is the way to go).

Tip: don’t use Sandbox against a collection of meshes (Lists, that is).

1 Like

BTW: I think that all that are a bit weird (and the approach briefly outlined is not 100% the real one).

Allow me some minutes to set-up a demo on that matter (as simple as possible - assuming that you speak C#).

And here it is:

Mesh_NonManifoldVertices_V1.3dm (119.1 KB)
Mesh_NonManifoldVertices_V1.gh (123.6 KB)

NOTE: If you want to check indices and the likes DO NOT use anything that outputs mesh vertices/indices instead of mesh topo vertices/indices. That said the V in the C# outputs topo vertices anyway.

1 Like

Thanks a lot.
I’m sorry, maybe the method I described was wrong. I wanna know how to find the indices of non-manifold vertices according to some algorithm. Actually, these boxes are voxels, so there is a kind of data structure in this problem.

Regards,
Albert

Thanks so much! I got your mean.
I will try it.
Albert

Have in mind that finding bananas MTV points doesn’t mean that the quest is over (you need to check faces connected to edges as well: if > 2 … call Houston).

1 Like

OK i got it. I wanna use this to solve voxel problems. Thanks again

Added the MIA bananas edge thingy. Spot the fact that a mesh can pass OK the bananas TV check … while being in fact non manifold due to failure in the TE check.

See demo mesh at 3: you can’t split it in disjoined pieces ( in case that you think that this method is the Holly Grail of all things).

Mesh_NonManifoldVertices_V1A.3dm (99.2 KB)
Mesh_NonManifoldVertices_V1A.gh (118.8 KB)

That said the classic clustering Method used to detect the bananas MTV stuff is not the one used in real-life for colossal meshes with 1+++Z TV/TE/F etc etc … but the other high performance Methods are strictly internal to the practice (so I can’t post them).

Moral: bananas, what else?

Update:

Added a LOL option for a kind of “map” Tree that works:

1. If MV.Count != MTV.Count,
  2. If a given TV is assosiated with more than 1 V.

Mesh_NonManifoldVertices_V1C.gh (120.5 KB)

PS: You can add a M.Vertices.CombineIdentical(true,true); option as well.

2 Likes