How to align circle to tangents/lines

hi everyone and happy holidays :slight_smile:

just upgraded to v7 and hadn’t used rhino in a while. i can’t figure out how to do this simple thing, pretty sure i’ve done it before but can’t remember or find how.

i want to fit the green circle inside the corner so that it touches the blue and purple lines forming the corner triangle, so that the lines are tangential but without moving the lines but only the circle:

is there a command for this ?

_circle _tangent

1 Like

Hi @Chris, welcome to Rhino forums!

You can use the Tangent option on the Circle command as shown here:

3 Likes

thanks for replying so quickly :slight_smile: i knew about the alignement functions when creating circles i was just wondering if there was a way to align existing objexts to tangents like that.

Hi Chris - there is not a command but you can find the contact points on the circle(or whatever it may be) with two lines with the Perpendicular option from one of the existing lines to the circle. Offset the other line through the perp point and move from that point to the intersection with the tangent line. Repeat for the other tangent point.

@chris16 - here’s a tool that seems to work - 2d only - to move a curve into a corner of two linear curves:

MoveCurveIntoCorner.py (4.4 KB)

To use the Python script use RunPythonScript, or a macro:

_-RunPythonScript "Full path to py file inside double-quotes"

-Pascal

2 Likes

For a circle, and only for a circle, Offset the two line by the radius of the circle. The center of the surface is at the intersection of the two lines.

For more general case use Pascal’s method.