High Rise Buildings optimization

Hello, I am very new to Peregrine and trying to optimize a high rise tower. Started with small exercises like modelling a grillage but i get errors and wanted to ask a few questions. I do know that Peregrine is a tool to be used at the concept design stage of a building and based on that:

1. when modelling a grillage could i have openings (i.e. for staircases, elevator shafts and/or electromechanical riser)?
  2. when modelling the surfaces for bracing optimization, these surfaces should be inputted at the external faces of the building or could have these surfaces inserted into grasshopper internally of the floor plan?
  3. Any examples on how i could inserted UDL on my grillage?
    Thank you

Hi Intfire

1. Yes, you can have openings in a grillage. Just ensure that the 2D surface that describes the grillage domain has this opening, and the grillage generated will not use this space.
  2. These surfaces do not have to be on the external faces
  3. The easiest way to accomplish this is by using a set of point loads at regular intervals in the grillage domain, see “Grillage_2PartTable” in the example files. A distributed load component is planned for the upcoming Pro version of Peregrine, but is not included in the 4.0 TP version.

One comment about the third point: When modelling uniformly distributed loads, you often run into the rather unintuitive result in which increasing the number of point loads increases the volume of the final solution even if when the total force remains constant. This occurs because each load requires some structure to resist it, so the more loads that get added, the more complex the grillage will become. The results will level out however, so just be sure to use enough point loads to get a realistic solution

I hope this answers your questions!

Kind regards,
Jack

Hello,

Thank you for the clarification. Made the changes and manage to get a solution which i am trying to optimize (using GO or optimization) but ask me to change the number of joints as it is more than 100. As soon as I do that then it crashes and ask me to report the error to Rhino. I have check the Peregrine manual and the 100 joints at GO command it default but it does not say that it could be changed. Could you please advice if i could optimize my example which has more than 100 joints?
Regards

Hi Intfire,

The maximum number of joints GO input should accept any integer value. However, geometry optimization isn’t supported with grillages in Peregrine 4.0TP - which is just a tech preview version.

Obviously the software shouldn’t be crashing however, if you could provide me with your source file I will look into that for the next release.

Kind regards,
Jack

Hello,

The geometry optimization is for any integer number under the 100 joints?

In a high rise building how could I do optimization without the grillage? In any case I have send you my files yesterday at the following email address:

info@limitstate.com

As stated in my yesterday’s email I am a 4th year student at University of Sheffield working my final year project with professor Gilbert on the optimization of a high rise building and derive the savings in materials et.

I would appreciate your help to get out of this deadlock. The solution gives me a volume of 1.26m3 but I can not optimize as it gives very thin and light sections on a strange layout.

Please advise if you need me to resend the code?

Antonis Spyrou

Hi Intfire

Don’t worry about resending the email, I have had my colleague forward it to me.

You can increase MaxJoints in geometry optimization above 100, but it cannot be used for problems that include grillage domains.

You could try to model the floors of a high rise building without using grillages using a thin 3D domain at each floor, with point loads distributed at regular intervals.

1.26m3 does seem a little low for the volume of material in a high rise building. I would check that the solution you are obtaining seems credible - potentially at each stage. After looking at your file, I would start by removing wind loading and the 2D domains for the walls, so that the problem contains only the loaded grillages and support columns.

Please note that you are using a technology preview version of the software and, as such, some features will not be at the public release stage of development. If you find that this is a hindrance for your project, it may be worth discussing alternative approaches to modelling the building within Peregrine with your supervisor.

Kind regards,
Jack