Gui upgrade rhinoceros 8

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum.

I started using Rhinoceros from version 3 for prototyping, furniture design and more…

I have always hoped for an update of the graphical interface.

Don’t you think it’s time to change the style of the GUI that has always been the same and rethink it? (Excluding some improvements made to version 6)

I’m not just talking about customising the colours of the GUI, which is too basic the one already exists.

There should be themes to set up. Default layout for various customisable industries.

It is no longer enough when compared to other software.

As an example I report Zbrush (program for different purposes) those who know it know how versatile the interface is, edit of the tools is designed!

Just take software workspaces like Photoshop or illustrator as an example…

Conclusions:

The Rhinoceros GUI is too old and should not be updated but rethought.

GUI UPGRADE IN RHINOCEROS 8

What do you think? Thanks

1 Like

Most of this is possible yourself if you know how to do it. However there are no process- or industry-specific “default” workspaces, just the standard “Default”. So you will have to make your own.

Too late, the GUI (style, function) for Rhino 8 is more or less fixed.

HI! Thanks a lot for the answer.
Maybe I explained myself wrong.
I’m talking about the functioning of windows, the selection of commands.
I mean a redesigned GUI, with commands and functions reorganized (without distorting) for faster selection, with the options for the various commands opening more smoothly, allowing for a faster workflow.

Selecting a command and choosing an option is now slow for a workflow. It’s too clunky.

For example, I’m talking about menus/options that open only by hovering over them, showing the various options.
Too many mouse clicks, slowing down the workflow. All this would allow, in my opinion, to have a wider overview of the functions and a faster response of the command you want to use.
Too many times the right mouse click is used

None of that will change for V8 as far as I know.

I supposed!
Even when using SubD functions, having a dedicated window would be great. Have an immediate selection of vertices, points, and faces by passing only with the mouse, and the commands dedicated to the chosen selection are automatically updated with a single click.

Are you talking about like contextual windows and stuff like that? That would be a nice update.

Some people hate Rhino’s UI others love it. With the command line I’m way faster… like WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY faster compared to any other style of UI. I use the icons to use less-commonly used commands that I cannot memorize. I finally started customizing my middle mouse button and that was a game changer.

Revit is a good example of a UI that is the polar opposite of what I like to use (aside from the properties window and project browser… kind of). It cannot be edited unless you go fairly deep into the API. The shortcuts system is garbage. It creates a very low ceiling for productivity.

Another example of UI’s that didn’t work well for me were Affinity’s. I could not find anything for the life of me and their products just sit on my HD collecting dust. Nobody else has complained so I wonder it it’s just me. I should mention that I also hate the UI’s of most rendering programs.

Other than contextual displays, I don’t see an overwhelming amount of difference between Illustrator/Photoshop and Rhino… I mean they are way different but they are also different Apps… I don’t know how to make one more like the other aside from the contextual windows/options.

When I first learnt Rhino, the thing I was most impressed with was the ability to customize Rhinos UI to your hearts desire. It’s one of the easiest and most versatile UI’s to do so with. It’s not perfect in some other areas but it felt like a good overall compromise.

How about MouseOverHighlight?

zbrush is an absolute masterclass on what not to do

4 Likes

yes, that’s exactly the point. the upgrade is necessary in my opinion in 2023. For example, for me the gui of rhinoceros 7 is like autocad 2008.
If we look at the autocad interface now, it has already been redesigned since the 2010 version if I’m not mistaken. It’s not my favorite but it’s already an improvement.

I also made the Zbrush example and use it because I have a drawing display, without it being unusable. But if we look at the response to the command selection it is a whole other story. On rhino too many times you have to right click to open commands like boolean etc.

Then okay, if we also talk about the response times for calculating the command in zbrush, rhino is light years away!

On rhino now I create everything with subD commands. Again, as regards the selection of vertices, points and faces, it is not smooth for those who do modeling. The faces, points and vertices should perhaps only preselect on hover when subd is active, then make the selection choice, and at the same time gumball and the subd subfunctions should be visible. When SubD is active, contextual windows should open with the various SubD options.

What do not you like? The zbrush commands are very many. But all organized in groups. Zbrush has fabulous response times when you run a command. You almost never have to wait for the calculation, you have to wait a bit if you do a remeshing, retopology or more elaborate commands. The possibilities to shape, go back and modify a geometry are endless. But above all the response times are not comparable. I understand they are different software.

Subd in rhinoceros should work like zbrush’s zmodeler, with various shortcut commands.

Well! So, you don’t torture your hand using ctrl+shift :smile:

1 Like

When AutoCAD’s interface was redesigned many stuck with the “classic” interface, which was actually better for most advanced users… with the toolbars and such… very similar to Rhino’s (Rhino of course previously being an ACAD plugin). Since then it hasn’t changed much. And costs almost $2,000 USD per year lol.

There are some things I like better in ACAD for sure. I promised to make a video detailing the differences (focusing on annotations). I still can’t believe how far ahead ACAD’s text editor is compared to… well… almost every other program’s. I mean I can edit text faster in ACAD than MS Word lol. And people touting Revit when the text editor is so basic…

As I thought about it, I realized that to get the similarities I wanted it would mean changing some of the fundamental behavior of Rhino. The extra clicks also came with benefits. Sometimes…

I totally get this! But I don’t know what the alternative would be. I just got used to it I guess.

Sorry to pluck this almost out of context, but especially for this topic I feel that this is a core issue, not just with old Rhino users, but also a lot of McNeel developers. :wink:

The world is quite different from when Rhino was created. That Rhino is still quite the same is probably a great comfort for some, but a frustration for others.

2 Likes

I understand! advanced users wrote everything.

The behavior of rhino would not change with a thoughtful and smarter interface, this simplifies the workflow. There is a need for a more SMART GUI. starting a command is too repetitive, for those who work all day. Running a command on rhino now, it’s not smart in 2023.

If the GUI is thought out intelligently, it would also allow those who are approaching the software to have a complete overview of the software that is clearer and more immediate at the commands. Most users who are new and have been using rhino for a few years (I’m not talking about this forum), think they know how to use it! But is not so!

I do not promise anything! But if I can I try to preview what I mean by new GUI. Maybe WEB.:sweat_smile:
Maybe we bring Mcneel on the right track… :upside_down_face: Developing it only graphically.
Bye!

@David_Tarquini You may have arrived a bit late to the party. Discussions about how to modify and update the Rhino interface in V8 started two years ago after V7 was released. And requests for changes to the interface have been part of this forum and its predecessor for over ten years, probably longer.

An announced objective for V8 is to unify the Windows and Mac version interfaces, not only the user experience but also the underlying code. It appears that the direction and basics for the V8 unified interface has been decided and now the details are being worked out and refined.