Group points by proximity

Hi all,

I am looking to group points with the following rules.

• if the distance is between the points is == to .5 to .6
  • group the points to a maximum of 3 points per group.
  • then find the average point between them.

I used the proximity 3d and proximity 2d but haven’t been able to rule out points that are too close. And have been looking for options on c# or python but I am still fairly new to scripting so its taking me a bit longer than excepted.
If you happen to know of a good example I can follow or a quick script that can get me started I would really appreciate it.

Hi,

This script should do what you ask for.
However the dimensions you give feel very circumstantial, what exactly are you looking for with these average points ?

Edit : forgot about the max. 3 pts/branch, but you could Prune and/or Partition List the outTree.

GroupPointsC#.gh (6.6 KB)

1 Like

Hi, and thanks for the quick response!

They are, but this script works like a charm. only a couple of instances where the rules could be revised to group the closest point of the two similar to the snap below but I feel I can find a way to get that.

the average points are meant to give me a center line of the overall network.
I got the revit model as a mass and with rhinoinside managed to get the vertices. with the center lines I will bring them into etabs or sap for analysis.

Well … I would suggest a classic Flat Hard Clustering approach for that sort of stuff. All that prior using RTrees and the likes (but only if there’s lot’s of pts around).

Clusters_PtsByDistInInterval_V1.gh (126.0 KB)

2 Likes

If what you actually want is the skeleton of that shape, just grouping points by proximity isn’t the best approach - look instead for posts about the medial axis. @laurent_delrieu has posted various tools and scripts for this.

1 Like

Given the opportunity … In fact … I have a “bridge poly sides” C# that almost does what is required (but it needs some lines more for the general case).

1 Like

Please share the C#. It will be of great help.

Well … had a brief look on that one: (a) is rather unfinished - wonder why I did it at all (b) as it is … is using Methods (Poly Prox Connectivity, Island Detection etc etc) that are strictly Internal. I’ll see if it works (by some miracle) if I remove’m.