Grasshopper to 3D print

Hi,

I created the object (in the uploaded file) for a project for studies and I would subsequently need to 3D print it. The issue is however that this model seems to have issues when trying to slice it (according to the slicer and I determined in Fusion 360 uneven mesh surface and “shapes”) and consequently even tho Cura showed a relatively fine slicing int he preview the print is quite “imperfect”.

Could anybody tell me what is it that I would need to change in order to have a clean mesh suitable for 3d printing?

Thank you for any feedback :slight_smile:

parapluie-final.gh (59.1 KB)
( grasshopper created on MAC)

Hi, every mesh that you are going to 3d print needs to be watertight, that mean that has to have thickness and needs to be closed(like a solid), I would recommend you to remove the spherical object at base of the structure.

Reduce the amount of subdivision that the pipe surfaces have, that makes the mesh to have a lot vertices that you don’t really need, and makes the STL file to work slower on the Slicer, turn off a lot of the components preview, they are not necessary, and makes the definition difficult to understand.
I personally wouldn’t use the surface pipe, they are very expensive geometries, you can use the mesh pipe component, is a lot nicer( I recommend you to search for a plugin that’s call WeaverBird for Grasshopper). The Mesh inside the yellow circle is the one to bake and to print, the 3d model is not at scale so when you added to the slicer is going to be very small.

http://www.giuliopiacentino.com/weaverbird/
parapluie-watertight.gh
(60.8 KB)

This is not necessarily the finish object, because when I opened the original file, were some old components in the file and I couldn’t see them.

1 Like

If what is in the screenshot that which you wanted to 3d print, you should try to boolean union (Intersect > Shape > Solid Union) all of the pieces into one solid.

2 Likes

Yes, it was very small, you’re gonna need to scale it like 200 times its original size

1 Like