Grasshopper SubD Voronoi

Hello, everyone
Could you, please, help me
How can I make an arbitrary shape of a SubD in a similar exoskeleton (pic)?

I found several tutorials/gh files on the forums, but in 99% of cases they are tied to solid objects or generated from curves. Unfortunately, this blank is the result of scanning after cleaning and reducing the mesh, and I don’t really see how it can be translated into something other than a SubD.

grip_r8_v6.3dm (786.5 KB)

1 Like

SubD is certainly a good tool to use in the workflow, and the workflow definitely has room for improvement.

Lot’s of good stuff here:

Props to @Quan_Li

When I resume this type of modeling, this is basically where I’ll start again. Lots of good stuff compiled there.

2 Likes

Hello- somerthing like this?

1. ExtractControlPolygon
  2. ExtractWireframe from the result
  3. MultiPipe all the resulting lines at once (takes a while) I set radius = 0.3 and Struts = 3

-Pascal

2 Likes

Thank you very much, seems like a very helphul thread!

1 Like

Thank you! It’s very close
Basically, I want to make it more “organic-shaped” and “robust”, but I think this can be edited later

Maybe you already know, the bike frame in the picture is not an arbitrary subD. It is a generative design. Since Topos is dead, in Rhino you have only one option to generate that mesh, the Ameba plugin. If you are a student try Fusion, if not try Solid Edge Community Edition.

1 Like

… how can you tell?

I do similar works. It’s almost all SubDs and nothing is procedural… everything done manually.
And with SubDs it’s really easy to achieve such shapes…

That in the picture is mostly design, not performance.
A welded metal frame like that is going to have no advantage over a regular and simpler carbon one.

It might be procedural, but it doesn’t must be so.
People sketched similar “hive” shapes with pencil on paper before computer existed.
Today we can do the same and retrace the shape with SubDs (and then check with FEM).
I/we do.

1 Like

did you jus say ‘generative design in Rhino’ :open_mouth:! :exploding_head: :sweat_smile:

researching Ameba on food4rhino asap :face_with_monocle: :thinking: :thought_balloon: