Grasshopper is that you?!

Just stumbled across these two videos. Looks very, very familiar :wink:

-Kevin

5 Likes

dang that’s crazy. I wonder how much they charge to add that package :sweat_smile:

Isn’t this a borderline copyright issue?

1 Like

no… not that Grasshopper was the first to use visual programming methods, probably not even the first in the context of geometry.

1 Like

I used AVS 25 years ago to view scientific data in 3d. There was a node editor

4 Likes

I know there’s many different node-based options nowadays, I was mainly looking at the icons used for components.

Maybe they are so logical that it isn’t an issue.

well, the ui looks pretty much the same every where i believe, here a screen shot from c4d xpresso, which probably got introduced 10-15 years before grasshopper

C4D_Developing_Preview

1 Like

It seems to be a growing trend to integrate visual programming into traditional CAD software. Siemens is doing the same in NX:

NX Algorithmic Modeling - YouTube

According to Wikipedia it was introduced in 2012. Explicit History/Grasshopper first appeared in 2007.

1 Like

Blender also first got the Sverchok plugin, and now also some native capabilities. It appears that Sverchok’s oldest commits on Github are around 9 years old.

1 Like

…or Softimage ICE, released 2008, for the VFX industry. Beautiful peace of software.

(Still a shame Autodesk ditched XSI in favor of Maya).

1 Like

sorry, that is not correct, you have misread, what you read is that the ui got enhanced, Xpresso exists in that form way earlier, when i started using c4d in 1999ish Xpresso already was on board. i can not say for certain when exactly it was introduced but whats the point anway, Grasshopper is not that original as some may believe.

2 Likes

I didn’t misread anything, the only mention of Xpresso in the Wikipedia article is the 2012 one. While it might have been introduced earlier, I didn’t see any evidence from an admittedly quick Google search.

Indeed, as far as I know the GRAIL (Graphical Input Language) from 1969 is one of the first (the first?) node-based dataflow programming editors:

3 Likes

I first used C4d in 2010 and I also remember Xpresso already being a part of. Not 100% sure…

Apart from the price, Catia Visual Scripting is a strong competition to Grasshopper within certain industries. Catia is widely used anyways, and if you are able to call all modelling functionality of Catia over that interface, then personally I see no point in doing things in Grasshopper. Surface modelling in GH is a pain since 2007.

well then you have to take my personal experiences for granted till you find some real evidence :man_shrugging: :smile:

You’re the one making unsubstantiated claims buddy.

chee now we are going down the drain… i dont have to proof anything. the topic is irrelevant for those who dont have an ego issue. take it or leave it… buddy.

See: Ad hominem - Wikipedia.

1 Like

not my usual method but feel free to interpret it the way you need… if that helps you through the day.

Grasshopper is visual scripting editor for Rhinocommon after all. I don’t think it is the first of its kind, but I’m sure Grasshopper had some impact. You could see many CAD application doing such editors after GH became famous.