Good CAD programs

These simple programs emulate pens - they draw curves on the screen:
Epic Pen has free Windows and Macintosh versions and commercial versions: https://epic-pen.com/
Pensela: GitHub - weiameili/Pensela: The Swiss Army Knife of Screen Annotation Tools
ppInk: Releases · pubpub-zz/ppInk · GitHub
gInk: Releases · geovens/gInk · GitHub
ZoomIt: ZoomIt - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs
Pointofix (German version only): http://www.pointofix.de/
Windows version of ScreenBrush: ScreenBrush on PC: Download free for Windows 7, 8, 10, 11 version
Macintosh version of ScreenBrush: ScreenBrush | Draw on your screen

short video about some of these programs: Top 5 apps to write , draw & annotate on desktop screen + ppInk demo - YouTube

short video about the Epic Pen: How to use Epic Pen to Annotate PC Screen - YouTube
I use commercial version of the Epic Pen. Its most useful tools are arrow and ellipse. Its text tool is so buggy that it is useless. If the Epic Pen hangs up, I go to Task Manager and stop it there.

short video about the ScreenBrush: ScreenBrush annotation Review: When to Use It. Streamlabs OBS, Zoom, UC Logic, Monoprice, Pens! - YouTube

Or just use the import_3dm Blender add-on to import 3dm files into Blender.

4 Likes

best photogrammetry programs (some are free): https://all3dp.com/1/best-photogrammetry-software/

Meshroom (photogrammetry program) tutorial: Meshroom: 3D models from photos using free photogrammetry software - YouTube

1 Like

not to forget apples own photogrammetry, which is becoming a command in rhino for mac

2 Likes

just found this, haven’t tried it, but looks interesting:

3 Likes

Nvidia Instant NeRF (neural network software) transforms 2D photos into 3D model in a few seconds: NeRF Research Turns 2D Photos Into 3D Scenes | NVIDIA Blog

Just stumbled upon this, a plugin for blender that makes cad sketches possible:

nothing for me, but I though it’s worth sharing.

6 Likes

This is impressive! Thanks for sharing.

I have a lot of respect for people who are tinkering around with this stuff. With EvilDesk charging thousands per year for software that seems to even be regressing. And this stuff is free?

I don’t have time to learn/tinker. I’ve kind of committed myself to my workflow (CAD/Rhino and dotNET) and I’m old; there’s already a lot on my plate. I also need (like REALLY need) a command line.

5 Likes

Strand 7 - https://www.strand7.com/

Me, too!
Sidenote:
I take it as a sign of ‘professional’, or elegant software architecture when the ‘core access’ happens by some sort of shell/programming language, like in an operating system. The UI with all the fancy buttons is just a layer on top that gets translated to commands, which can be logged, and turned into macros or scripts.

6 Likes

Blender.

Yeah … seems to be something only old people feel … (old guy here too :wink: ).

2 Likes

Not so fast…

Reading and writing text is soo much faster than clicking around on fancy icons. mouse travel and stuff…
(kind of an older bloke here, too =)

4 Likes

yup, we need some mouse traps!

but jokes aside that is the worst obstacle for productive working and i fear too many just accept mouse clicking and swirling around for completing tasks other than drawing of course also in other software, rather than investing time into establishing a mouse free environment making working a bliss and quicker. Rhino has many shortcuts or initials built in to the command options which avoid exactly this… now the mac version of Rhino has so many commands which force you to move with the mouse to a little button to complete it. i am pretty sure the windows version is nice and clean in these regards, i keep ranting about it forever… :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Would still be quite a steal, considering the capabilities and cost of Parasolid.

Freecad and Blender have constraints with symbols previewed in the viewport. I hope Rhino 8 also will have constraints with previewing it in the viewport.

I`m writing about that feature of Rhino 8: Rhino WIP Feature: Constraints - #36 by mattytraxx

i think the current communicated constraints need a lot of UI work, the people are giving good feedback from what i read but i did not read it all yet.

the main issue is i think that it should be as intuitive as possible, the current idea seems more focused on copying solid works with branches and folders etc rather than keeping it Rhino Style. i would do away with this entire tree structure and keep it visually direct.

2 Likes