GH Python Script Editor Mac missing features

Hi guys,

Like everyone, I’m WFH these days and have been getting used to the Mac version of Rhino on my home iMac. The interface is obviously different, but I’m missing certain features that make life a lot easier on my work Windows computer.

The Mac Grasshopper Python Script Editor interface as it is, is very simplistic. Firstly there is no top toolbar with 'File, Edit, Tools, …'—when we click on the PSE window the top menu bar simply reverts to the usual Rhino menu. Secondly, there’s no Output tab at the bottom. But most unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be an autocomplete function for writing scripts as there is in the Windows version. Unfortunately, I’m not yet a complete whizz at writing python code, so not having these prompts take a lot longer.

The Rhino Python Editor is also missing that tab that lists all of the rhinosyntax functions, making it really cumbersome to verify the names of each function.

Are these functions simply missing for Rhino Mac, or are they hidden away somewhere? And if that’s the case, does anyone have a good workflow for using the Mac version of GH and Rhino with Python?

Hi James-

Sorry for the delayed response. Hopefully it’s not too little too late.

Yes, the code editors on Mac lag far behind their Windows counterparts. However, this is an area of very active development. @Alain is taking the lead on this and things are moving quickly. He can bring you up to speed better than I can.

One question I did have was which version of Rhino for Mac are you testing? The reason I ask is that Autocomplete is working for me in Rhino for Mac 6.24 (6.24.20079.23332):

-Dan

Hi James,

Yes, a code editor is being worked on right now and the focus has been on the editor itself and not so much the components using it like GhPython. But that is coming very soon.

Like Dan says, Autocomplete is working, so let me know if it indeed doesn’t for you.

I’m using Rhino 6 on an up to date Macbook Pro and I don’t have the autocomplete function either. Is there a fix?

Auto-completion in the GHPython component in Rhino for Mac isn’t ideal to say the least. It only works from time to time and is rather sluggish to respond, especially if your a fast typer.

I’d recommend using an external text editor that supports the Rhino scripting stubs, at least for larger scripts. I know of Atom (free), Sublime Text, PyCharm, and Visual Studio (free?), but there maybe others.
These editors have also many other great features that will make your life easier, like search and replace, general Python auto-completion, prettier themes, code suggestions, auto-save, etc.

Thank you for the response!

Hi Alain, I have the same issue ( Rhino 6 ) iOs Catalina iMac, I tryed on Macbook Pro 2014 and iMac 5k and any of these wasn’t able to get autocomplete. Sometime it’s pop up but when i press backspace for mistake it’s not pop up again.

I wish to be fix soon because our studio is based on iOs and it’s very hard to start learning python with out this fiture. For me in the code looks like just blue words ( import, as ) and other code is just black.

Anyway big thaks for your work . I love Rhino, GH and Python

how can i using pycharm with grasshopper ?

Hi. So far I can’t reproduce this. Does autocomplete always work with the simple example in the screenshot above?, i.e.:

import rhinoscriptsyntax as rs
rs.

I use the latest stable release of Rhino 6 on macOS 10.14.6 and code completion works randomly at best, if at all. Most of the time it doesn’t !!

Unfortunately doesn’t work :-/

I can’t tell what is not working from your screenshots.

Here’s what typing your script looks like:
ac

You get the same level of completion data as if you were running Rhino on Windows but you don’t get completion data for everything. It doesn’t compare to a full fledged editor.

Are you getting no completion at all?

It’s much better was there some update ? it’s seems catching but still when I delete text It’s not show up again :-/ ( sometimes) and exempel pts.append ( not show up )

I have to try more coding and I’ll let you know. I going to try rhino 7 for mac

Las question
May I ask you how did you record - I can do video but it’s much bigger size

Hi Alain here is example when is doesn’t work.

It’s possible that i have some mistake but autocorect will be helpful for to avoid it.

I’m just trying to learn Python :slight_smile:

P.S.: Can you tell me how did you record your vide/gif ?

I can reproduce some of what you’re experiencing and we’re working on improving code completion in GhPython as well as other scripting components. Until then you’ll get better auto completion by running the EditPythonScript command.
For recording I use ScreenFlow by Telestream.

1 Like

Hi - Pardon the thread resurrection, but I’m making my way through some python tutorials and am struggling with the current editor in mac: both in terms of features, and stability.
Are any updates to the editor coming under Rhino 7, or do I have to wait for Rhino 8 (just trying to plan a machine upgrade).
thanks,
Paul

We don’t plan on making any feature improvements for the editor in Rhino 7. All new work is being done in Rhino 8.