Geometry riddle

This thread is amazing!
In any other software forum this would have ended with an apologetically “out of scope” response, if any…

1 Like

Impressive!
Will it be part of V6’s Grasshopper?

-C-H-A-R-L-E-S-

heh, I xposted on a sketchup forum… with sketchup, the mindset is often more of 'find the geometric trick" as opposed to use awesome software… if there’s a trick to this, those guys will sniff it out :slight_smile:

Link?

http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60055

just posted it an hour or two ago… no solutions yet :smiley_cat:

As usual, @DavidRutten is a genius! Thanks again. @Jarek , thanks also! As for “what is the practical need for this”, it’s for stiffeners inside this sculpture: http://www.publicsculpture.com/inflorescence.html

1 Like

And @DanielPiker : Cool!

Nice topic, and nice work Heath!

1 Like

Thank you. :slight_smile:

This function has a bunch of uses beyond heath’s. It would let you know if you could jamb a box or a sofa through a doorway before you picked it up to try physically.

@DavidRutten and @DanielPiker, could your solutions be re-written to provide the user the ability to find a height or width of the outer polygon (assuming 90-degree corners) if the user had a fixed rectangle (the 2x4) that they were trying to fit? In other words, what would be the minimum height (given a set width) or a minimum width (given a set height) for a fixed rectangle?

Thanks,
Matt

i just sniffed it out :smile:

1-- the shape
2-- criss cross
3-- intersection to perpendicular
4-- tween
5-- mirror
6-- bisect green with a line the width of board
7-- move one end to edge
7b- draw line parallel to edge at white’s other end point
8-- move white along red til it intersects
9-- finish off the rectangle

board_ina_quad.3dm (55.9 KB)
(right viewport)

probably scriptable, right?

haha. I didn’t really double check that but the board was originally drawn on a parallel to world plane orientation.
so, mirroring the green on the z is going to result in a vertical line when bisecting it.

and the board ends are vertical so…
maybe this is not a trick after all :oops:

can’t check until later though.

edit-
ok… had to pull out the laptop on the bus and try…
this is embarrasing… haha.
move along__nothing to see here.

You know, at a first glance before reading your question, this is what I figured was happening.

Your building the ultimate fungi forest in your basement and attic with a whole bunch of sterilite totes, acrylic sheets, and you needed to figure out how big to cut the sheets for your terrariums. Since you didn’t want to buy all the same size storage totes because you being a hippy already had 30 mismatched ones that were on sale. But now I see that the model you have made is much more magical!!!

The old school way, all that is needed is gloves, alcohol, respirator, hair net, a stove, vermiculite and a spray bottle for 3 times daily maintaince! Shitakes that is. The only edible ones that can be pf-tek’ed

Everyone has a little different experiences in life.