G-code generator in rhino

Hello,

I need someone who wants to help me to generate a g-code (by script or grasshopper or…) for a plasma cutter
directly in rhino.
I want to do nested sheets at once by select them by a window, the different (max 5) layers tells the “script” what to do with it.
adjust the kerf or offset
After that I want to change and or move the lead-ins and outs.
after that I want to do the cutting sequense, mostly by hand (selection)

I want to do it in rhino so I don’t have to switch to another program.
All the cnc-cams programs can do to much. (I want to keep it simple)

Offcourse I am willing to pay for it, I don’t want it for free.

Dutch speaking would be nice, so we can call and maybe understand each other correctly (better)

Thanks already
Regards
edward

Hi Edward,

I created a crosspost at the grasshopper and scripting category for more visibility.

groetjes en succes
-Willem

Have you looked at a program called Rhinocam? Published by Mecsoft, Probably do most of what you needs

I’ve sent you a pm.

Yes I did, also Madcam.
But that software is mostly for milling-machines.
They can do a lot more than I need so a bit to complicated, also 1 part at a time and I need nested all different parts
I want a simple script just for plasma and a marking contour.

Hy Edward,

Have you looked at Xylinus?

they have made a whole range of components for generating G-code.

Erik Beeren

3 Likes

Hi,
I didn’t know this,
also because it is for 3d printing and that has to do a lot more than I need.
I only played a little with grasshopper so I need help is what I figured out.
I think you have to strip this plug in and that for me too much,
but thank you

If you are looking for someone who can help you, Wout Zweers is doing these sort of jobs and very capable in using rhino for 3d printing.

http://www.woutzweers.nl/

Vriendelijke groet,

Erik Beeren

1 Like

Hola, estoy utilizando el plugin de Xylinus en Grasshopper con la finalidad de poder darle una cierta inclinacion al cabezal de la impresora para imprimir por ejemplo a 45º (Con el cabezal colocado a 45º) y no encuentro muchas formas de como resolverlo. Se que usando Xylinus con G-Code se puede hacer, pero no se como y no encuentro tutoriales ni nade sobre Xylinus. Si me pueden ayudar se lo agradeceria.
Gracias

1 Like

Hello Edward,
I am in development of a Metal-Lasercutter path generator. I have kept it very simple, just doing what is needed to export the g-code after selection of curves (or curves in layers) and material selection it generates and exports a gcode (For a propriatary protocol of metabeam lasercutters at the moment).

I just have installed the first seat for ZHDK university, the university is testing it at the moment how their students can handle it. In autumn I plan to adapt KIRU with the same feature set for their new plasma cutter.

If you are interested in a basic functionality, select curves and cut them (No nesting, no In/Out points, No offsets) let me know.

For laser-cutting I also need to add those features, first I want it to perform simple and fast, after that features get implemented. Most of the features are easy to do manually, the In/Out points can be automated (I have tested and done that for cutting-plotters already) but most of the time you set it manually in Rhino anyway to have the best result needed for your project. Offsets can be also done manuall, later a simple button with a material selector can be added in Rhino UI to automatically adjust offsets depending on material used. The nesting is not an easy task, but I believe there are free nesting options already for Rhino.

You can see a preview of KIRU’s features here: KIRU
Here a pre-release w.i.p. video of the workshop manager using KIRU (Sound quali bad and no subtitle but you get the essence :slight_smile:

KIRU Use

Best,
Daniel

I made this script a long time ago which can generator g-code from curves… It’s a bit crude, but it also has some nice features compared to others I have seen. (Like it will generate G2/G3 moves).
gcodeGenerator.gh (47.7 KB)

It can be something for someone to work a bit further.

Without stealing this topic my big problem in regards to generating g-code in GH is to make “pockets” for CNC milling. So having some nice offset algo which works and is not to intense regarding computing.

3 Likes

Hi guys,
I ended up doing this for Edward and thought I’d just show what we ended up with. It’s a combination of python scripts launched by Rhino commands which communicates with a grasshopper definition. The python scripts works as an interface in Rhino to choose the curves to be cut, change the order and change starting points without having to deal with Grasshopper. The grasshopper definition creates lead in/out which differs depending on the location on the curve (edge vs corner vs inside vs outside), offset kerf and G2/G3 for smaller file size. Everything is adjusted to Edward’s preferred workflow.

3 Likes

That looks really nice and flexible! Kudos!

Did you automate lead in and out or does the user decide where and how, in or outside it is applied?

Thanks!
Lead in and out is automated to a certain extend. The user can choose where the starting point is, and based on where that location is (corner, edge, inside, outside) the grasshopper definition will give a different type of lead.

1 Like

Hola, estoy usando el plugin de Xylinus en Grasshopper con la finalidad de poder darle una cierta inclinación al cabezal de la impresora para imprimir por ejemplo a 45º (Con el cabezal colocado a 45º) y no encuentro muchas formas de como resolverlo. Se que usando Xylinus con G-Code se puede hacer, pero no se como y no encuentro tutoriales ni nade sobre Xylinus. Si me pueden ayudar se lo agradeceria.
Gracias