Fit deformed mesh to its original Brep shape

unhandled

(ilemaitre) #1

Hi everyone,

I’ve already had some luck getting very helpful responses from members of this forum so here I’m sollicitating you guys again :slight_smile:

Here is the situation:
Starting from a very basic Brep shape (comprised of only planar surfaces), I have made a mesh and deformed it, remeshed it, etc.
Now, I would like to establish a correspondance between my original shape and the deformed shape: I want to re-transform my deformed mesh so that it would perfectly fit my original brep shape. That way, I would get 2 meshes that only differ by the position of their vertices and I could thus morph any other thing I want from the starting to the deformed shape (in my case, a set of curves, and I already have the script for the morphing ready).

To sum up: I need my deformed mesh to be fitted onto my original brep, without remeshing operations, only vertex manipulations.

The problem is that I have some trouble doing so without damaging my mesh: getting vertices in very close positions, getting 0-area faces, generating non-manifold edges, and so on.
I have a result that is promising, but has some problems at the edges of the brep I want it to fit.

Would you guys have seen anything similar, or read an article, paper, … that would relate to the subject ?
I am fairly good at Python scripting and I have learnt to manipulate Rhino objects rather well these past weeks, so I’m not afrait to get my hands dirty in some code :wink:

Thanks a lot in advance!

Here are some files and illustrations:

• on the left: the deformed mesh I want to morph to its original shape
  • on the right: my best result so far: the mesh and the edges of the shape I want to fit

Clean ShrinkWrap_V3_forForum.gh (146.0 KB)
WorkingFileR6_ForForum.3dm (10.2 MB)

Morph curves - following a mesh deformation