Failure after Rhino server update

I’d deployed rhino.compute per: Rhino - Deployment to Production Servers

Everything has been working perfectly for a couple of months.

We have a lull in use at the moment, which seemed like a good time to attempt a Rhino update. I used the two scripts in the above document, which seemed to be successful.

However, requests to the IIS Application were failing and no log files were being generated. I recycled the application and also IIS to no avail.

I started compute.geometry.exe manually. I can see in my middleware server that Rhino did make a request for the appropriate .gh file.

The following log was produced:

I also started compute.geometry.exe (Debug version) on my local computer. It worked perfectly and produced the following log:

Do either of these provide any clue as to what is happening?

Alternatively, is there a way to roll back the update?


Still not working, but I notice that my web.config had been reset to the default web.config and no longer had my customizations. I had modified arguments to: arguments=“–port 80 --childcount 2 --spawn-on-startup --idlespan 91000”.

I restored my mods and recycled IIS. Still not working.

Next, I rebooted the server. I sent a /healthcheck from PostMan and got this response: HTTP Error 500.32 - Failed to load .NET Core host

Update: I’ve restored from an AMI to a new instance on EC2. I’ll keep this updated instance for a few days if I can help debug the update process.

Hi Bill. My apologies for the delayed response. I’m not sure what’s happening here and it’s also good feedback about wiping out the web.config file. What you said makes sense because I believe the current script simply deletes the existing folder and downloads/installs the latest files… But, perhaps I need to add an argument to that script to ask whether you want to modify that file (or maybe there’s a better way to handle that).
Anyway, it’s sorta interesting that you’re getting an error describing the .NET core host. It sorta makes me think of two things,

  1. Either the files that got installed weren’t built using the “publish” method and so isn’t encapsulating all files necessary to run… Or,
  2. You’re missing the .NET Core Hosting Bundle for some reason.

Here’s my suggestion. On your VM, download this file and install it. This will install the .NET Core Hosting Bundle which usually takes care of the issues that you reported. You may need to recycle IIS, etc. but try seeing if that fixes the issue.

If that doesn’t fix it, let’s try manually replacing the rhino.compute and compute.geometry directories with the latest build files. You can download the latest version of rhino.compute (as of this writing) from here. This is a .zip file and contains the latest build files for both of the directories mentioned above. If you stop the IIS server, then navigate to those directories, you should be able to manually replace the contents in each directory. You may not want to replace the web.config file since it sounds like you’ve made modifications there.

Hopefully, after those two steps, you should be able to get back up and running. Let me know if you continue to have problems.