Fading Pattern

Hello -

I am trying to learn grasshopper through the AAD Algorithms Aided Design book. I’m trying to recreate the fading pattern that many others have brought up in this forum, however they are typically left open ended. So i’m reaching out to see if me along with a few others can get a solution to this script. The main issue I’m having is the remote inputs. From what I’ve read these are just remote connections (“wireless connections”), but how are they connecting inputs to inputs with this method (red markups in my provided script)?

Source 1: Fadeaway Patterns / Pattern Fade - #10 by ivan.k.m.ho
I read through this thread and the exact script/pattern is shown through an image by the user Ivan K M Ho. Karl is another user who was seeking for a solution to the same issue. however this thread got left open ended.

Source 2: Fading patterns on 3 dimensional surface - #6 by nsmorin
This user is asking for the same answers, however his script is similar to the one proved in the book but it’s not the same. The user Trashplater mentions the exact same script and was able to get his solution solved regarding the image sampler, however I’m trying to figure out how his script and many others are remotely connecting inputs to inputs? My question was left open ended on this thread…

Source 3: HELP on this pattern
Similar pattern however the solution provided by Laurent Delrieu is much different from the one I’m trying to learn from, but an awesome solution to the problem. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to achieve similar results with what he had posted as an image. Side note I am using Rhino 6.

Source 4: Creating Concave Sub-surfaces
Similar pattern however it’s not being applied to a 2D surface, so again learning from this one was difficult.

Source 5: Fading pattern on a triangular surface - Grasshopper
Same pattern mentioned here, but I’m not having this issue.

Source 6: How to fade out patterns at all edges and vary the pull of patterns at the centre. - Grasshopper
Similar pattern left open ended…

I provided my script in hopes to find a solution to how these inputs are connected, or are they? From what I see both remote connection symbols are on the input side?

If any help, thanks in advance!
TestFade.gh (39.1 KB)

1 Like

@Joseph_Oster The thread you provided is source number 2. I have asked my questions on that thread and I have been left open ended…

Here a version where I replaced the image sample with an attractor point (the circle is just for indication in what radius points are attracted), same functionallity but more adaptable in my opinion, hope it helps.

TestFade_re.gh (16.9 KB)

Edit: Forgot the outer faces:
TestFade_re2.gh (20.0 KB)

3 Likes

@danielbent this is incredible! I hope others see this solution because I agree with you there’s way more control and functionality.

I wonder why they show remote inputs on the original still?

I will be using this same reasoning in this script (point to define radius that are attracted) when similar image samplers are used SO COOL!

Thanks again @danielbent!

What you call remote inputs are hidden wires. I don’t own the book but the picture in this post shows that the wires are hidden, the indicator are the “waves” before the input itslef.

I have no idea why someone publishes a book with pictures of gh scripts and thinks hidden wires are a good idea.

There are cases when one word is worth more than a thousand pictures. :wink:

// Rolf