External Python Debugger

While we’re at Rhino Python Editor autocomplete:
After assigning of a certain class or its method to a variable, autocomplete seems to stop working. An example:

spher = Rhino.Geometry.Sphere(pt, 2)
brep = spher.ToBrep()

Once the “dot” character has been typed after “brep = spher” autocomplete does not appear, so you would have to type the “ToBrep()” manually.

Also, most of the time I find myself not remembering the exact name of the module/method/function. Using substrings when autocompleting would be a big plus (like: “tb” for “ToBrep”).

Thanks for the great post Angel.

There is a lot of work to be done on improving the current editors and on simplifying remote debugging with 3rd party IDEs and we’re working on that. You all bring some great points.

Does debugging in ghPython work everytime for you? When I tried debugging rhino scripts using pydev and/or pycharm I couldn’t get it to work everytime (not sure why) but if I enabled “tracing” in addition to “frames” (I was using a custom Rhino Python plug-in that allowed me to enable tracing) then it would work everytime.

Cheers,
Alain

Nope, as far as I’ve tested, it works properly all the time (+50 times from yesterday…).

@frist @Alain Hi. I’m working on getting pydev work with rhino. But unfortunately I run into a problem.

I opened up a new topic for that specific problem. I hope you can help me.

Link: