Extend all surface edges V6

Hello! to give a bit of context, when I import Step models I often find bad objects and others with edge tolerance issues, in order to modify the less possible the surfaces I solve the first problem, untrimming and splitting with the adjacent surfaces in most cases.
When I have to extend a surface, even if is trimmed I can extend each edge a bit to get a little margin or gap to split again. this also using RebuildEdges first.
the question is:
Is there a way to extend all surface edges at the same time? so for example I can explode the complete model, extend all the surfaces and use CreateSolid.
I often use UntrimAll and ReplaceEdge which are very helpful but in other scenarios is better to extend the edges just a bit

Would you have to choose which pair to extend first? As I guess that would then determine the way the opposing two edges extend.

I don’t know if the order matters.
I guess it could be a macro like
Dupborder
Untrim
Extend all
OffsetcrvOnSrf
trim with the bigger curve
But I don’t know how to make it work haha.

Hi Diego - this thing will extend all sides of the underlying surface - I don’t know what it does to surfaces with singularities or that are periodic…

ExtendSrfAll.py (931 Bytes)

To use the Python script use RunPythonScript, or a macro:

_-RunPythonScript "Full path to py file inside double-quotes"

For correctly offsetting the edges of trimmed surfaces it will take some thinking… might be OK for planes…

-Pascal

Hi @pascal thanks! I will try it

Hi @pascal , I pasted it in a button but it doesn’t work

Hi Diego - to run off of a button, on the last line,
remove the ‘if’ statement:

if __name__ == '__main__': ExtendSurfaceSides()

should be

ExtendSurfaceSides()

Does that work?

-Pascal

it works I guess but the only thing it does is just untrim the surface, no matter the distance I set

the example is just a trimmed srf

Right - it only does the underlying surface, it was not really designed with the problem you’re trying to solve in mind - it may help a little in speeding up some of the intermediary extending steps in your case.

-Pascal

is possible to add the dupborder and offsetcrvonsrf ?

Hi Diego - in the script? Probably but getting that to work reliably seems like it might be quite hard - getting the offset to go in the right direction, resolving offset collisions and retrimming etc etc. seems messy… to me.

-Pascal

thanks anyway. I will keep trying with what you made.

I added few commands in top of the script and it works
but if I add few commands after the script, they are executed before the script
I have to learn more haha