Exporting Texture from Substance Painter, Presets and open GL

For a customer’s project, I recently started using Substance Painter for textures. Currently rendering with Cycles in Blender, [the models are made in rhino]
I would like to also in the near future, render these project items directly within Rhino with Bella.

Some Questions:
1). which of Painter’s preset is best suited [currently using the simple Metal Roughness, but they have many other options in that list]

1. Currently I’m changing the option from Direct X to Open GL, and it is clear that this is what also needed for Rhino + Bella… But what about Metal, [I’m on a Mac and plane to move to an M2 as soon as their new MBP comes out]

2. what would be a best practice regard the UVs…? directly in Rhino, or [as I do now] to do in Blender ?

3. Is there something else I need to know and didn’t know I need to ask…?

*In regard to preparing not to work via the direct Substance Plugin… I only tried it once in Rhino, it seems way to heavy for my current old machine and rhino crushed. In Blender the plugin partly works, is quite unusable, buggy and very slow to calculate large maps… Additionally, Painter allows to do lots of different things with these materials.

thanks a lot
Akash

Regarding opengl vs. directx format normal maps, the bella PBR material has a flip green option, but in the case of using a Rhino Physically Based material, there is a little hack, not sure if I have documented it:

It will not immediately change anything when you type it in there, but if you do anything to cause the material to be re-translated (e.g. disabling/enabling normal map, or just about anything else), it will be picked up and you will see the change.

1 Like

Thank you @jdhill

Can it be said that Metal reads the Normal Map same as Open GL? Therefore setting the Normal to Open-GL before exporting should work correctly also on Mac M1 /M2…? or it doesn’t matter because [if I understood you correctly ] I can just flip it if needed in Bella.

Akash

Steve could probably comment on that, my guess is that metal is low level and would not make any such decision, but as you guess, it is neither here nor there for bella, since you can just switch it to whatever you need.

thanks again.
And I would be good with Metallic-Roughness? If I can use the same maps in Bella that have been already exported for use in Blender…? that would be ideal.

we support both models in our PBR material, but almost all of the test PBR sets I have use metallic-roughness, and I’d generally recommend using that

1 Like