Exporting attributes that show up in other software

I am wondering if there is a way to export a Rhino model that maintain the custom attribute keys and values I have assigned to models. I am in construction field and often use software like Navisworks Manage to merge multiple models in. It can read Rhino 5 models directly but it does not seem to translate any of the custom defined attributes. This is important for me to have this information in order to filter elements or see specific data. I tried exporting to dwg which also does not maintain attributes.
I am currently using Rhino 7 WIP.

1 Like

Hello - I do not know of any way to do this - the importing software would presumably need to be aware of the attributes.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,
Thank you for your response. Perhaps is there an export file format that retains this information disregarding the importing software? (I’m thinking perhaps we can develop a file reader for the importing software, Navisworks, but am unsure whether it is retained in any sort of export).
Thanks

Hi -

Both the DXF and DWG formats should retain key-value pairs. Attribute User Text is written as ACAD xData.
-wim

3 Likes

Sorry to dredge up this old topic.

Are there any tricks to be able to view Attribute User Text within Navisworks?

If I export a rhino file with Attribute User Text to dwg format the xData is accessible in AutoCAD, but not NW.

• Registered Application Name: Rhino
  • Code 1002, Starting or ending brace: {
  • Code 1000, ASCII string: Part Name
  • Code 1000, ASCII string: GNW_CAP
  • Code 1002, Starting or ending brace: }
  • Code 1000, ASCII string: Thickness
  • Code 1000, ASCII string: 4
  • Code 1000, ASCII string: Throw
  • Code 1000, ASCII string: Aft
  • Code 1000, ASCII string: Side
  • Code 1000, ASCII string: S
    Object has 16309 bytes of Xdata space available.

Hello Ncik,

did you find any solution for this problem? It would be great to share this with the world.

Thank you

Nope. Only used NW intermittently so didn’t spend much more time on it. If a solution can be found it could be very useful.

There is a way.

Exporting Rhino geometries as .csv format and importing them into Navisworks with DataTools tool. Just need to edit in excel.

Navisworks recognizes the names of rhino geometries. This is the key that will create the connection between the two programs. Give different names to each geometry in the Rhino. (wasily with Grasshopper)

After naming, it is necessary to export Rhino geometries in Object Properties.csv format. Object names and properties are selected and exported. (whatever is wanted).

Our goal is to see the properties of the object we clicked by creating a tab in the Properties panel. Names are listed in the item field in the excel table in order to match the names on the item tab in the Properties panel. Type and features are added to the excel column as desired. The page name must also be Properties!!!

Then click the New tab in the Navisworkte Datatools tool. Tab name, location of Excel file and Sql String suitable for Excel are required. In addition, the field name and display name are written manually.
SELECT * from [Properties$] where “Item”=%prop(“Item”, “Name”);

And here it is…

Finally, the Excel link is live. In order to break this link and embed the information in the file, it should be published by selecting ‘Embed Database Properties’.

-Hüseyin

3 Likes

This is great! Is this still the best way to export Rhino/Gh metadata to Navsiworks or Revit?

Another option I see is: Rhino.Inside to get Rhino into Revit and then use the free Navisworks Export Utility in Revit to export NWC.