Exclusion from recent documents list

Is there a way for a plugin to open and re-save a document without it appearing in the recent documents list?

I don’t know of any way of doing this, short of modifying the Registry. Why do you need to do this?

It’s kind of complicated to explain, and the final workflow is still being tweaked, but the general gist is that we’re using Rhino to operate on .3dm files that live inside other container files, and one way of doing it is to (within Rhino) extract the container to a temporary directory, work on the temporary 3dm file, and hook RhinoDoc.EndSaveDocument to re-package the container whenever the Rhino document is saved. I actually asked this question before learning that files that don’t exist anymore will not appear in the recent documents list (which is really nice), so this will only crop up if the temporary directory doesn’t get cleaned up properly. I understand that this is a weird use case.

Import and Export into an empty file might work.

I considered something like that, but I couldn’t figure out how to have a single plugin perform both import and export.

Hello @dale

Sorry open this topic but, how or here I can modify this registry?

Thanks

Hi @MatrixRatrix,

As of version 6, Rhino no longer store persistent settings in the Registry. They are now stored in xml files found in the user’s profile folder.

%APPDATA%\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\settings

Rhino does not provide a way for you to directly read or write it’s configuration file. You can do so, indirectly, using RhinoCommon properties and methods.

– Dale

Thank you @dale

On this folder only contain this files:
“settings-Scheme__Default.xml”
“window_positions-Scheme__Default.xml”

None of this xml contains anything related to temporary files, this is the rigth file?

This is a slight tangent but I wish there was a way to disable the recent files appearing in the file menu entirely. When screen sharing with a client sometimes it’s inappropriate for them to see what else you’re working on.

1 Like

Hi - this thread is about the “Most Recently Used” list, not about temporary files.

You could manually delete those entries in the settings-Scheme__Default.xml file.
They are found at the top in that file - you can just remove anything between <list> and </list> as was done here:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<settings id="2.0">
  <settings>
    <entry key="RecentFiles">
      <list>
      </list>
    </entry>
    <child key="Options">
      <child key="Appearance">
[snip]

-wim

1 Like

Hello @wim,

I made a mistake, what I want is just “Recent files” an do “Most Recently Used” .

My xml does not contain “RecentFiles” Key, (AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\settings\settings-Scheme__Default.xml) , may be elsewhere ?

Thanks

Hi - how many files are in your %APPDATA%\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\settings folder and when were they last edited?
-wim

Hello @wim,

I only have this file, one is my Skin, and My Skin do not contain any key for “Recent files”

settings

Thanks

Hi - Does settings-Scheme_Default.xml include recent files?
-wim

Hello @wim

I already found out why my file didn’t have a “Recent Files” key, I delete this file because this post :

And since I did this I still hadn’t saved anything, so I didn’t have this key, now I have.

Thank you.