Confidentiality - Turn off open/export file location memory - or set a specific location

I am doing a lot more Skype/Zoom meetings at the moment with multiple different clients and find it extremely difficult to avoid inadvertenly showing the wrong client a screenshot of what I’m working on for another client when sharing my screen during a call.

I figured out how to turn off the splash screen on startup (by adding \nosplash to the shortcut ‘Target’ address in properties). But whenever I go to open or export a file it remembers the previously used location - which of course is full of thumbnails of all my files. How can I turn this off? or better yet set a specific location to go to?

1 Like

would be usefull each worksession with its own file parameters (place, save options etc)

I found this old post from David but it doesn’t appear to do anything when I run it:

link

I’ve found the ‘Clear Recent Files List’ button in Options - Files - which seems to acheive what I want when I press it. But I’d rather an option to not record recent files in the first place. I don’t suppose there’s any workaround to run this as a command on shutdown?

Hi,

This application requires .NET 4.0 or newer to run.

Did you check your .NET version.

For the duration of your virtual meeting you could also just turn off showing of icons in thumbnails, or thumbnails in general (in Windows).

Anyway, in Rhino 6 you can use also - prior to your meeting:

Tools > Options > Advanced. Type Recent in the search bar for advanced settings, select the triple-dot button after Rhino.RecentFiles and copy/paste the list to notepad. Then empty the content and save.

Then search for OpenAndSaveDirectory, and set the value to what you want it to be. You may want to go through all entries for DefaultFileDialogDirectories

Restart Rhino after this, and double-check that opening file now goes to the folder you entered in the second step. The first one you probably already knew.

Thanks ajarindia, I’ve checked that. I’m up to date with .NET.

David’s .exe file runs ok, but it only says: “Deleting File: grasshopper_mru.xml” no mention of any Rhino settings change. When I re-open Rhino all the recent file information is still there.

Hi Paul - I suppose you could make a macro that opens a file from the desktop, then closes Rhino -

! _-Open "C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\Nuthin.3dm" _Exit

Run that to close Rhino.

-Pascal

Thanks Nathan, some good suggestions, but I really need something that I don’t need to remember to do every single time. It’s not just potentially embarassing, it could utlimately lead to legal issues for breach of NDA’s etc.

I’ve tried changing the OpenAndSaveDirectory as you suggested and it doesn’t seem to work? I set the value to a new folder, closed Rhino and restarted, but it still went to the previously saved folder. I went back into options and it had changed it back again.

Did you have any other Rhino instance running? You should do that when you have only one open.

Thanks Pascal, I’ll give it a try - sounds like it’ll do the trick.

Yes, It was the only instance running at the time, so not sure about that.

Thanks Pascal, that appears to work with a small correction (remove the ‘-’ in front of the ‘Open’ which askes you to browse for a file):

! _Open “C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\Nuthin.3dm” _Exit

It’s a fairly clunky work around though. Is there a command I could use to run the “Clear Recent Files List” option from the Rhino Options / Files Section? That appears to do exactly what I want if I could add that to a macro it would be perfect.

Thanks again Pascal.

I managed to cobble together the following script and paste it into a new “ExitClean” toolbar button:

! -_Runscript (

Call Main()
Sub Main()
Call Rhino.Command("_Open ““C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\Nuthin.3dm”” _Enter", 0)
Rhino.Exit
End Sub

)

It removes the “Save changes to Nuthin.3dm” dialogue box that pops up when using the Macro.

To complete the workaround I added “Call Rhino.Command(”_SelAll _Export ““C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\Nuthin.3dm”” _Enter", 0) after opening C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\Nuthin.3dm in order to reset the Export file location as well.

Final macro/script:

! -_Runscript (

Call Main()
Sub Main()
Call Rhino.Command("_Open ““C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\Nuthin.3dm”” _Enter", 0)
Call Rhino.Command("_SelAll _Export ““C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\Nuthin.3dm”” _Enter", 0)
Rhino.Exit
End Sub

)