Exclude Object from Clipping Planes?

Is VisalARQ owned by McNeel? Can it be copied to regular Rhino? 800€ is a bit too much for that functionality only - all other I’m not that interested into.

Hi @moby-dk, VisualARQ is owned by Asuni (https://www.asuni.com/) that belongs to the same company group as McNeel Europe and we are based in the same office in Barcelona.
VisualARQ adds many other features to Rhino besides the section attributes: the IFC import and export features, 3D parametric architectural objects, Dynamic blocks driven by Grasshopper definitions (aka “Grasshopper styles”), hidden line vector output for 2D drawings, quantity take-offs reports, and many more…

Has it been decided that an object exclusion feature will only be available with VisalARQ? I too would love to be able to exclude objects from a particular clipping plane in Rhino. I make a ton of diagrams that “peel away” layers like an onion to illustrate complex assemblies. Currently, I use Trim and Cap to do this but it would be great to have an easy non-destructive way to achieve the same result.

1 Like

Hi Ryan - we still have that feature request on the list - RH-6069.
I’ve added your vote.
-wim

2 Likes

Please Wim, add my vote too to be able to exclude objects from clipping planes. Imagine you have a house and you want to create a section of the walls but you want your furniture and staircases to appear without sectioning. I do this kind of drawings quite frequently. Thanks!

1 Like

I want to double on my +1, I wants per object clipping plane. So a command called ExplicitClippingPlane creates a special clipping plane that can be link to specific object/s a user defines.

Thx,

G

3 Likes

Clipping plane could work just as V-Ray in two modes:
Exclude (define objects you want to exclude)
Include (define objects you want to include)

So in exclude mode if no objects are selected everything gets clipped / clipping plane works as it is now.

4 Likes

Yes, one tool to rule them all!
+1

1 Like

Hey, please add mine too, let it grow.

1 Like

yes!
+1

1 Like

+1,
+1 for me!
yes yes this is good!

1 Like

+1! Just would have needed clipping exclusion for an axonometry.

1 Like

+1 (for hatches too!)

1 Like

+1 please!
This function would be so useful.

1 Like

clipping capabilities must improve far more than just this… clipping objects, exlude from clipping (only include), option to fill hatches even to non closed polysurfaces. etc

Oh, for sure. This has been discussed at length in another thread about drafting and layouts.

I’m not sure how this would work…or if I would even want this for my own workflow.

I would really like to see the devs prioritize this in the next round of experimental features. According to the YT, it’s been on the back burner since at least November 12th 2009! (4 months after I started using Rhino as a year 1 architecture student!) This would certainly be a game changer for Rhino users.

2 Likes

it would be option on/off if you want only closed polysurfaces or open as fell when there is just close loop when clipped

Technically, there’s no good reason why hatches should only be created from closed polylines. They store their own editable curve border anyway, so if an open curve was taken as input, it would simply be closed.

As so often it’s more a question of what we are used to. Hatches are an old CAD concept, and we learned over decades to close them before hatching.

In 2d vector apps this was never necessary.

I’m just not sure how a mixed-bag of open and closed geometry could jive together. Especially if you are working with multiple per-object clipping Planes. If it solves more problems than it creates, great!

Hi @wim can you add my vote for this feature? Thanks.