Evaluation version

First year architecture student here. Installed Rhino v7 on dell workstation with 64 gb of ram, ssd and gtx1060. I7 xeon cpu. Pretty powerful windows 10 machine.
I am running into issues trying to Make 2d with vertical Clipping plane. Horizontal clipping pane works, but horizontal doesn’t. The model is pretty complex (for a first year student).

I tried other computers (3 windows and 1nac) without success.

What is interesting that I shared the model with another student and they were able to perform horizontal clipping pane on my model using pretty weak Lenovo laptop.

I am using 90 days eval version. Could that be the reason why horizontal clipping is failing?

Oxana

Hi Oxana -

Please run the SystemInfo command in Rhino and copy/paste the results here.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal.
Thank you for your reply. SystemInfo is below

Rhino 7 SR4 2021-3-19 (Rhino 7, 7.4.21078.01001, Git hash:master @ a432d22ab7f0f7b53d157d578278070c8bf6eff4)
License type: Evaluation, build 2021-03-19
License details: Cloud Zoo
Expires on: 2021-05-24

Windows 10.0.19041 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 72Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (NVidia) Memory: 6GB, Driver date: 9-30-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 456.71
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 9-30-2020
Driver Version: 27.21.14.5671
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 6 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Users\misha\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\IntelDenoiser\0.6.0\IntelDenoiser.Windows.rhp “IntelDenoiser.Windows” 0.1.0.0
C:\Users\misha\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\NVIDIADenoiser\0.4.0\NVIDIADenoiser.Windows.rhp “NVIDIADenoiser.Windows” 0.4.0.0

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.4.21078.1001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.4.21078.1001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.4.21078.1001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.4.21078.1001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.4.21078.1001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Users\misha\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\PanelingTools\2021.3.2.446\PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools”

Hi Oxana -
There isn’t anything in that SystemInfo that looks wrong. I would probably update to the current 7.5 version, though.

How do you define “doesn’t work”?
Is the view clipped when the viewport is in Wireframe mode?
Does it work as expected when using a simple box in a new file from a factory-default template?
If it is scene-specific, can you post the file here? Or upload to Rhino - Upload to Support (make sure to copy the URL to this thread in the comments field if you do)?

Did you mean “vertical” in this sentence?
-wim

Thank you Wim - just uploaded the file (M4 Working Progress.3dm)

Hello - the clipping plane in your file seems to work here - note that clipping is applied per view, so make sure, in the clipping plane Properties, that it is set to clip the view you are interested in - as your file opens, the Right view is clipped.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

That’s not exactly what I am looking for. The ClippingPlane also works for me, in sense where I see it clipping, however, when I try to Use Make2D of the vertical ClippingPlane in the “Right” view, Make2D is stuck for several hours without any progress. My problem wasn’t with the ClippingPlane not showing up but that wehn

Sorry I accidentally pressed send, what I was trying to say was:

OK, yep, I got it…
@oxana - Make2D in Right works here, however there is a linked block missing - just in case that is the bad guy, can you post or send me that?

“A linked block definition cannot find a file named
… s/Buliding 7 Details.3dm”

BTW, you can edit posts on Discourse… =)

-Pascal

“That’s not exactly what I am looking for. The ClippingPlane also works for me, in the sense where I see it clipping, however, when I try to Use Make2D of the vertical ClippingPlane in the “Right” view, Make2D is stuck for several hours without any progress. My problem wasn’t with the ClippingPlane not showing up but that when I try to use Make2d with the ClippingPlane in the vertical position, it doesn’t make any progress. For some reason what I am trying to achieve works on some weaker computer systems and not on mine. Could you try testing out making Make2d from the “Right” view with the clipping plane that is already set up. Thank you for your help.”

I don’t have that block instance anymore unfortunately. Thank you for your help.