Engrave on to non-planar surface

I want to engrave “1/4” into this surface. I want the text cut out and not raised.

I have projected the text lines to the surface, what would be the next step? or is this the wrong way to do this?

Hi David - this takes a few steps and is extra awkward on a SubD-derived object where there are multiple faces that get cut. If you can post a file with the objects in it here (public) or send to tech@mcneel.com to my attention, with a link back here in your comments, I’ll show a workflow that should be reasonable to execute…

@David_L_Aery - here are some tools that can help -

1. CageEdit your text solids all together with a bounding box cage. Set the Z points to 2, X and Y 4-6 points in this case - you’ll end up with something like this:

2. In an elevation view, window select points lioke so and move them with the gumball, down into the target object.

Carefully adjust the rows of points - always window select to get all - eventually you may want to switch to the front view to fine tune. Note this version leaves the verticals vertical - not necessarilty what you want.

Another way is to cage edit the text with a single surface - this will allow the verticals to orient themselves ‘correctly’ as the text wraps - I’ll include an example of each. Seems to me the secoind way is probably better in this case

14-40-R6_PG.3dm (2.6 MB)

-Pascal

Pascal, seems like a job for your ProjectObjects script.

Hi Peter - Yes, exactly, but I’d like to explain the ‘by hand’ way as well, so the user knows what’s goiing on an can improvise when the script cannot hit the target object cleanly.

-Pascal

that is cool.
Thanks a bunch.

Hi @David_L_Aery here’s another method that I use often:

alternative_option.3dm (1.6 MB)

What do you prefer when that text engrave should be prepared for the moulding process: one direction off all letters to remove mould correctly and draft angles on every letter? I have had a problem with that lately.

@pascal method is good for that because it`s in one direction but doing nice draft angles on every letter is time-consuming because letter curves cause many errors.

I did Gjis method first and I left only the bottom surface to extrude it up after I noticed that all letters are not directed in one direction but making draft angles was tough.

It`s also possible to make letters tall and make them intersect base surface and use intersect command to cut curved letters and extrude it up.

When I need to do that, I would redraw the letters by hand. It’s a bit tedious but there is no other way to get clean surfaces. Fonts were never designed to do this and often contain a lot of garbage. The time it costs to rebuild letter curves pays of in the end result and reduced frustration with tools that don’t play well with letter curves, e.g. ExtrudeCrvTapered.
If it’s for a logo, it’s mostly a one-time investment. If you are using a single font over and over, even that could be a one-time investment, then it’s a matter of aligning the prepared letter solids to your typed text.

1 Like

thanks for the help. I got it to work.