EditPtOn use less edit points

I have a curved line and want to edit this line in height. When I enter EditPtOn, it gives multiple edit points. I only need two edit points. One edit point on the end and one at the start.

How to adjust the amount of edit points?

curved line.3dm (24.3 KB)

Hi Floris - this is an arc, so you’ll get more than end points from edit points or control points - no way around that - what is it that you want to do? Should the result be a tilted arc, a deformed arc, the same arc only off the plane?

-Pascal

If you just want to move the end points up, you can turn the points on but just select the two at the ends and move them like you would any other object.
Nick

if i understand correctly, one approach might be with the command Crv2View

your arc is shown in black.
a line from the ground level end to the elevated end is shown in blue.
the white curve is the result of Crv2View on the other two curves.
?

If that is the goal, Shear is perhaps a better bet. Well, at least it would keep the control points simple.

-Pascal

1 Like

Scale1D or ScaleNU might be useful to changing only the height of a curve.

I try to make curves with heights in an interchange.
It is very difficult.

@nick When I select the two at the ends and move them, the arc forms not the way I try to.
@jeff_hammond Crv2View is very handy, but I cannot use it for polylines. Do you know a similar command for polylines?
@pascal When I use Shear the axis is not always Z. Do you know what I am doing wrong?
@davidcockey When I use Scale1D or ScaleNu like in the Rhino tutorial, it won’t work. I cannot understand why.

It is really difficult.
20161109 plans mostar interchange 01.3dm (413.1 KB)

Yes, possibly - make sure Project is on in the Osnaps and set the initial axis to horizontal (Ortho).

But, as before, it probably makes more sense to make surfaces and Project the 2d curves to these.

-Pascal

1 Like

Yes, I know how to make sufaces of 2D curves. But, the problem is that the intersection between different curves is not possible in Rhino in a slope form.

It is probably not possible in Rhino to make a highway interchange, I guess.

How I can change the initial axis to horizontal (Ortho). Do you know where I can find that option?

What I meant was, make the 3d surfaces first then project the 2d curves onto these as in the previous example you had - this is not different if I am reading- just a bit more complicated - something like this, maybe-

20161109 plans mostar interchange 01_PG.3dm (440.9 KB)

-Pascal

I still do not understand how you do it. In the previous example I understand it a little bit better. By extruding the lines I could trim the form. But, their are curves in it. How you did it?

Hi Floris - you do not need to extrude to trim- just trim with the curves.- the example I posted has the main ramp as a large rectangular surface that is trimmed by the curves below. UntrimBorder to see. The ‘secondary ramp’ is a BlendSrf in this case.

-Pascal

How does the UntrimBorder command work?
How do you align a plan to the edge of the end of a road?

How you make planes for curved roads? Are you using curved rectangles?
How do you project the trimlines (the form underneath) on the planes?

When I use MatchSrf, the plain automatically adjust its form.
And using ‘project’ only projects some of the lines at the plane.

@anon52886073 Your approach in modeling the interchange using very large, somewhat arbitrary shaped surfaces and then trimming those surfaces is interesting and unusual.

An alternative approach would be to first create centerline curves for the roadways at the desired shapes and elevations. The surfaces for the roadways could be created from the the centerline curves using several different approaches. One would be offset the centerlines to create curves at the edges of the roadways, and use Loft to create surfaces from the edge curves. Another would be to create cross-section lines/curves of the roadway and use Sweep1 to create the road surfaces. The latter approach would allow the road surfaces to be tilted on the curves, ie cant/camber/superelevation. After surfaces are created for each individual roadway segment the segments could be blended together with transition sections added as needed.

[quote=“floris, post:7, topic:38596”]
@davidcockey When I use Scale1D or ScaleNu like in the Rhino tutorial, it won’t work. I cannot understand why.
[/quote] I use both commands frequently without any problems. Without a video of you attempting to use the commands it is impossible to know why they don’t work for you.

Try using “ApparentInterctions=Yes” in Trim.

How @pascal did it is exactly what I want. @davidcockey, do you know how @pascal did it: using the UntrimBorder command, aligning the planes to the edges of the road, did he make curved planes and how he projected the lines correctly?

If I know how, what I am trying to figure out the last two weeks, I can finish my project in less than 1 hour and going forward with my Master study Architecture. It will be very very nice. So, do you know how @pascal did it?

I literally woke up at midnight right now, to read the replays and move forward on my model. And I think the way @pascal did it, is probably the best way and easiest to do it. But still, it is very complicated to understand.

Not sure exactly what Pascal did, but here is how to use Trim with ApparentInterctions=Yes for your model.

Top (preferred) or Perspective viewport

Start Trim command

Make sure ApparentInterctions=Yes in command options

Select trim objects

Select areas to be deleted

Note: Trim objects must be either be closed or the projection of the objects in Top view must be continuous from edge to edge. If the trim does not work Project the trim objects onto the object to be trimmed in either Top viewport (preferred) or Perspective viewport, and then check that the projections are either closed or continuous from edge to edge of the object to be trimmed.

I know learned how you did it. It is so easy! But, with the curved example, how you stretched the plane in such smooth way? I am thrilled to now. Did you curved the plane in order to make that beautiful curve?