Dynamic Blocks function in Rhino, such as the one in AutoCAD - for Rhino 6 or already possible?

Hi Koert - Thanks for your feedback!

Just for the record - we have this one on our list as RH-51073 and I added your comment.

As for a future way of making “dynamic blocks” in Rhino itself, that will probably use Grasshopper to some extent.
-wim

1 Like

Perhaps a stupid question: Is there anything in an imported ACAD dynamic file that Rhino can interrogate to at least then offer the Rhino user the option of selecting a particular config? Or is that level of interaction something that AD doesn’t expose to a third party?

Hi Matt -

I think there is, yes. I base that assumption on the fact that RH-51073 mentions a LISP routine that was written to deal with the information in the file. Also, if there were no way at all to get that information from the file, the issue would have been closed.
I’m sure that if my assumption is wrong, I will be corrected : )
-wim

Hi, I did start testing Rhino 6 mac again.

All performance issues seam to have been solved, compliments McNeel!
It works smooth and very well.

I did also start to test opening dwg files (created in ACAD).
Unfortunately large files do not seem to open properly. The layouts are messed up and the dimensions are out of scale.

If McNeel wants some file to test it for themself I can send it to them.

Yes, please.
-wim

I did send the file over a private message.

We are trying it out in Rhino mac 6 evaluation.

Yes parametric blocks would be really useful - Is there a feature suggestion page for rhino?

4 Likes

+1 here
The dimensions are a great example of dynamic block.

To me it seems the blocks system calls for an overhaul. The inability to keep groups/selection sets, draworder bugs, layer management issues (with conflicting layers within blocks), … Or, perhaps, the better path would be some sort of blocks 2.0?

McNeel, please, please, pretty please, fix blocks already, it’s probably the biggest drawback around (not only for 2D drafting).

1 Like

Blocks that function similar to AutoCAD’s “dynamic” blocks would be more useful compared to say, BricsCAD’s “parametric” blocks. The later simply put, isn’t good. AutoCAD-style Dynamic blocks are both more intuitive to create and use. Using the “dynamic” functionality exclusively is very stable (parametric blocks tend to crash far more often). If you know how to use them they can drastically save time. I was able (sort of, minus the office politics) to increase productivity 1 - 4 times by creating both a dynamic block library and programming some associated AutoLISP commands to drive the block parameters.

The catch with AutoCAD’s dynamic block system is that it’s 2D only. But if you’re not doing 2D AutoCAD probably isn’t the right program for you.

I’ve been experimenting with Rhino’s CAD exports and continuing to do most all my 2D work in AutoCAD (actually I was experimenting with the clones but it looks like I’ll have to use AutoCAD for at least another year… too many glitches).

If Rhino could pump-up their 2D a bit (it already has some great stuff going for it) I would be ecstatic. It’s a lot to ask for given the yearly subscription fee for AutoCAD is almost up to $2,000 USD per year. AutoCAD clones cost about the same as Rhino with about 1% of the tech support.

Dynamic blocks were previously patented/copywrited by AutoCAD but it seems that various other CAD programs are providing dynamic blocks, Draftsight for example.

2 Likes

Hi Keith -

Apart from the dynamic blocks part, you’ll have to start new threads and be a lot more specific about this to get anywhere…
-wim

1 Like

Hi @keithscadservices ,
you might be interested in AdaptivePartsEnvironment plugin by Rhenso is giving you the possibility to create your own dynamic blocks :slight_smile:

Yours
Dominik

3 Likes

Thank-you! I’m going to try it out this morning. I can barely use Grasshopper but we’ll see how far I get / what I come up with.