Dumb question: Running rhino commands with arguments

rhino
command

Ok I’ve got a dumb question: I want to run a rhino command, for example Rebuild, with the arguments/options set to specific values. Is there a way to do this completely by typing in the command? ie. I could run the command Rebuild(Point Count = 15, Degree=3) or create a similar custom alias for that?

(John Brock) #2

Start the command with a dash or hyphen character, "-Rebuild"
The dash is how you start what we call the “scripted” version of the command, that only takes command line input with no dialogs.

http://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/mac/help/en-us/index.htm#information/rhinoscripting.htm

Alright but how do I modify the options of that? When I run ‘-Rebuild’ I still get this window
instead of this window

I’m confused about the functional difference between the two.

Ideally I’d like to run the command, something like -Rebuild(Point Count=15, Degree=3) and have the command execute with those settings. Is that possible?

On the Windows side you would do this as -Rebuild Pause PointCount=15 Degree=3 Enter , you can then assign that to an alias or button. Not sure how well this translates to Mac Rhino however.

Some things on macro creation:
https://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/5/help/en-us/information/rhinoscripting.htm
https://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/basicmacros

Hope that helps,
Sam

That did the trick, thanks!

(John Brock) #6

@gent
When you start ANY “scriptable” command like “-Rebuild”, all of the dialog options are available on the command line.There is a letter underlined for each option. Typing that letter invokes the option.
So running a command that way are paying attention to what you have to type to do what you want are the key strokes that go in a macro.

The link I sent and the links Sam included have the additional detail you need to become at writing your own macros.

Not a dumb question, but apparently my answer was too sparse o’clues.

(Bradley A Jackson) #7

I would like to create my own aliased macros that I can pass parameters into but haven’t seen how yet.

Any pointers?

The link that Sam posted above should explain how to do the basics, if that is not enough, please post a specific problem you are having creating a macro…

–Mitch

(Bradley A Jackson) #9

I have a simple macro called Sphere. I would like to call the macro with an argument that gets plugged into the radius of the SphereShell command each time it is run. For instance if I wanted radius to be 45 I would enter

SphereShell 45

I created an Alias called SphereShell with this in it.

Echo
_Box 70,70 -70,-70 " " Enter
SelLast Enter
convertextrusion Enter
Pause
Setobjectname box Enter
_Sphere 0,0,0 This is where the argument would get plugged in Enter
sellast
setobjectname inner Enter
sellast
Offsetsrf .2 Enter
sellast
setobjectname outer Enter
_-SelNone
Pause
-_Selname outer Enter
booleandifference -_selname box Enter
-_Selname outer Enter
booleandifference -_selname inner Enter
_-ChangeLayer Layer1 enter

No, this will unfortunately not be possible with a macro. For this you would need a simple script to ask for user input - it would go something like this:

SphereShell
"Outer diameter?" <user input/Enter>
"Offset thickness?" <user input/Enter>

Here is a quickie python script that does this, just for illustration purposes…

CreateHemisphereShell2.py (998 Bytes)