Doing something cool with 3D mesh

Hello.

Let’s say it’s my task to use boring 3D mesh of a simple object and do something cool with it in Grasshopper. The outcome should be inspiring, beautiful, and doesn’t need to have any sense.

Does someone have inspiration what I could do?

Thanks.

How about growing a maze on the mesh, distributing a pattern that’s further influenced by one or multiple attractors, populating the mesh with other geometries, running an agent-based simulation around or on the mesh and altering its topology after the fact by its outcome, abruptly changing the mesh with noise or even reaction diffusion, inflating the mesh and making it collide with other objects, growing it differentially, making the mesh itself a discreet object in a larger assembly, morphing the mesh to a different mesh with the same amount of vertices and inspecting the in between steps, …

1 Like

Very cool!!

Do you know examples for the following ideas?

And is there a way to just change the topology of mesh and remesh it? So all points stay the same but the resulting object looks totally different?

You can start here for inspiration:

1 Like

Simply search the forum form “mesh maze”, “differential growth”, and “mesh tween” or “mesh morph”.

Check out the QuadRemesh and TriRemesh components in Grasshopper.

1 Like

Thank you. I was looking for that stuff.

I think differential growth sounds most attractive to me. But I can’t find an example when it was done with 3D mesh. Do you have one?

I have, but it’s an old, slow, badly programmed Python script that I’m not comfortable handing out.

2022-10-19 19-29-38.2022-10-19 19_32_09

That said, there’s a tutorial on YouTube by Long Nguyen that shows in detail how to script something like this in Grasshopper.

1 Like