Does rhino cycles work with Brazil/vray materials

Hey Rhino community.

I am/was a big fan of Rhino Neon working with Brazil materials .
My question is does the Raytraced cycles work with the current render materials ie Vray or Brazil or do you have to use rhino materials. I have just gone out on my own and am about to upgrade/purchase my entire workflow system and don’t want to be stuck with programs that don’t effectively work together.
I do note that neon never worked with vray materials.

regards Jahn

Render engines are supposed to implement socalled simulations of their materials. If done right there can be some degree of correspondence. That said, the Raytraced mode (RhinoCycles) does not know about Vray nor Brazil materials. You should stick to the Rhino materials.

1 Like

hey there

Why can it not be integrated with brazil such as with Neon- This was a wonderful tool and I did some amazing work on the flow- now I have to stop and render- Its a big step backwards for me upgrading. Can I apply two materials to each surface depending on what render engine I use? BTW Brazil for rhino 6 render(in)window is not working- the only option is renderblowup

cheers Jahn

Jahn

What functionality are you missing? We added fresnel and glossy reflection/refraction to Rhino 6. Those were the features most people were looking for from the Brazil integration. Is there something else that you are missing?

• Andy

Andy

I am really struggling with rhino 6- Great plug ins like T splines,Bongo & Neon dont work any more . Also when I loaded bongo it crashed everytime I tried to turn off all layers except 1 layer- I had to uninstall bongo completely.
When bongo is installed and you open a file with a missing image file it gets stuck on the black screen and locks up.
Cycles just doesn’t like HDRT or GI environments they dont rotate with the model/ large mesh surfaces and is super unstable,
Cheers Jahn

Have you tried Skylight and HDRi environments that Rhino provides?

About unstability with large models - yesterday I fixed a crash bug related to viewport rotation in heavy models. You could get the next release candidate for 6 service release 2, probably around Tuesday next week.

Can you send us a small sample file or two that reproduce this problem?

And lastly, please post the text content produced when running the Rhino command _SystemInfo in Rhino 6.

Thank you,

/Nathan

Nathan -

Yeah the latest rhino environments work - But what about the last 10 years I have spent building up a library of environments that now dont work? 100s of hours and $$$.

Too scared to reload bongo!

Rhino 6 SR1 2018-2-6 (Rhino 6, 6.1.18037.13441, Git hash:master @ 5a33e6871b94d32ba552468218cef0ad8d3d1263)

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2 (OpenGL ver:4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.65)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 1-3-2018
Driver Version: 23.21.13.9065
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI”
C:\Program Files\Brazil 2.0 for Rhino 6\Brazil.20.v60_x64.rhp “Brazil for Rhino”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

More things that are issues

Brazil - render pass control- enable pass control button on/off broken - always goes to last used background override even if switched off
renderinwindow etc does not work - only renderblowup
SubD items dont render at all!

Until SubD is properly supported throughout (which most likely will be v7) you can use _ExtractRenderMesh on a SubD object. The same is true for Raytraced - SubD objects are still quite experimental and not fully functionaly.

If those are HDR and EXR files you can use them in Rhino environments as well… Even jpg/png work if they are in equirectangular projection.

Hey nathan
I have found a way to use these environments in cycles. I have to remake the HDR environment from the original image in rhino render- I cannot use one that was made previously in brazil and saved as an Renv file.
How do you bump up the light intensity in rhino render- the box seems always off.
What will happen if I try to install neon into V6- still seems crazy to have to run two seperate render engines when you guys sell brazil as an integrated renderer-

jahn

Andy
Can you make the environments made and saved in brazil previously work in cycles renv- I have to remake them in rhino environment with the original hdr image for them to work. Also brazil materials should work in cycles as per neon- There is no point applying rhino materials then having to replace them with brazil materials for a final render-. Also skylight lighting is always greyed out .
jahn

Jahn

Send me one of your renv files and I’ll make sure it works.

Andy

Jahn,
I’ve been trying to reproduce the Bongo crashing you reported with no luck so far.
Any chance that you could send the models that crashed for you?
When did you have it installed?
We fixed a crash on Bongo startup, it was fixed in the 9th of February build, I wonder if it was that crash bug that you where experiencing.

Hey Marika
It was when I bought a new computer and loaded rhino 6/brazil/bongo in the assigned directories- which were different from the previous file locations- hence the material/texture paths could not be found and it locked up whilst on the bongo opening session. Uninstalling bongo worked.
I am not able to send you any files for a few days, but I will asap
jahn

Hey andrew,

Attached are a couple of environments that work in rendered mode but not in raytraced mode. i am finding the environment panel (since i reloaded bongo?) is locking up regularly especially with the sky and water jahn environment.-Its a big file- but I like the resolution please help cause I have a mountain of work and it is starting to impact on my output.
May need to cash in the v6 version and go back to v5!
Sky and water jahn too big to upload and other non v6 environments take up to 10mins to load.10MB-80MB
Seems that anything with a high res HDRI just does not want to work.

jahn

Hi @good4design,

You can upload big files to us using rhino3d.com/upload. As recipient you can set andy@mcneel.com or nathan@mcneel.com. We’ll get notified by the system once the upload is completed.

From these files I am able to manually create Rhino basic environments that work otherwise just the same as in Brazil. But I think @andy will ensure such conversion will be handled automatically, or at least something in that direction.

Nathan

how did you manage to get the hdr image file out of the renv file to remake it in Rhino environment-
I cant even open this environment in V6

Stumped!

Might sound stupid but do you have bongo installed?

I have both Bongo and Brazil installed. What I do is I open the .renv. Then I right-click on the texture, select copy. Then I open the Textures panel and right-click in it, select Paste as Instance.

I then change the type of the Brazil GI Environment to Rhino Basic Environment, click to assign a texture, select more types, then from existing I select the texture with same settings.

I’ll create a short video from it in a moment.