Dimension history update

Hi,

Alligned dimension, from a point to an intersection, should change to the new intersection not to the point/position/percentage on object.

regards

Hi @Blastered,

this works if you create the intersection with history to get an intersection point. Then draw the aligned dimension with history enabled and snap to the point. If you move the red curve in the attached file, the dimension updates and follows that point.

history_dimension.3dm (220.7 KB)

c.

If you turn the grips of the aligned dimension on and select the grip in question as well as the line being moved, then the dimension will update with the move.

Thank you guys but i had figured those solution too. these are all extra processes and time consumers. I just want to tell my suggestion to improve rhino thats all.

@Blastered, i think Rhino will never automagically figure out intersection points for you so that dimensions would follow by themself. Imagine if you have 50 curves all intersecting at one point and you draw a dimension starting at this point. Then you move one of the curves. How should Rhino automatically determine if the dimension should follow or not ? If Rhino would by default keep track of such changes, it would run very slow i guess.

Creating a single intersection point with history seems less time consuming in that case :wink:

c.

hi @clement,

if there is an intersection, at least for a dimension, it has to be defined, and i believe it is now defined like that, with just the two curves, is it not?

for dimensions point of view, it is not important if there are 500 intersecting curves at this coordinate. what matters is the highlighted curves when you select the intersection. (rhino kind of auto create a point just for that dimension to follow and update)

regards

@Blastered, the “intersection” only happens if you mouse over the intersection point with int snap enabled, otherwise it is just visual and rhino does not calculate anything for it. Imagine that there are many apparent intersections in a drawing, depending on the view position but Rhino does not calculate a point for each of them constantly. It would not be good performance wise i guess.

You could limit the steps required to create the scenario shown in my file above if you enable history always for drawing dimensions.To make a dimension follow one certain intersection point, the only extra step a user would have to do is to create the intersection point (with _Intersect command and history enabled).

c.

i am not good with words and typing makes it worse.

what is my current rhino has;
-nearly all object snaps are ON, if not user cannot snap to intersection obviously and rhino highlights intersecting curves.
-history enabled, to update something automatically it is a must.

user has a bunch of curves some of them intersect some of them not. when user selects dimension command and clicks the first reference point a point is automatically created, it may disappear later but there is a point, F10 reveals it. anyway while intersection object snap is on, any intersecting set of curves that user hovers over becomes highlighted which indicates those lines are intersecting right?

this is the moment for user decide if these lines are the desired intersecting lines, you say “intersect curves and make a point and select that point for dimension.” i say rhino is already showing the intersecting set of curves and creates a point for dimension so why should i make extra effort to create a point with intersect command? rhino can and is doing that already.

it doesnt matter there are more than 2 curves at the same coordinate, user selected the desired set of curves for that dim. extra curves’ movements wont effect our dim. just the highlighted ones does.

@Blastered, at present, Rhino needs to know an exact point (object) to which the dimension has to follow in order to update that location once the involved curves are moved. It is true that it shows a temp snap point while drawing the dimension, but this is not a point object which seems to be required.

It does not create a point here. The point you see is just a snap location, no point object. I understand your request, you want to make history dimension to remember there snap locations.

for the future releases.

pihuvv that was hard to explain.