Developing free webinar: design using 3d scan data in rhino

I’m developing material for a free live stream webinar. I’ll be teaching techniques I have learned and developed for using 3d scan data in your design process in Rhino. This webinar will focus strictly on Rhino, using only the tools natively available in Rhino V5 and V6.

I want to serve the Rhino community in the best way I can and to that end I am curious to learn what your needs are. What do you want to learn about using high resolution 3d scan data in your design process?

Your feedback is crucial and greatly appreciated!

-Seth

1 Like

Everything you know! Can’t wait for you webinar Seth, when will it be available?

I have a 3d scan of a boat superstructure and need to get nurbs panels that can be used for manufacture of bent glass for the windows. The panels themselves are not the big challenge but to extract the perimeter of the rabbetts that they sit on so as to be flush with the surface is perplexing. Also need to get the border of the frit to be printed on the glass where it caulks into the rabbett is needed to be precise.

1 Like

I work a lot with medical MRI & CT-scans, and need only the surfaces while getting rid of “internal” splinters & bone marrows.

The meshes I receive are often full of holes and has “double surfaces” from a hard bone layer with inner surface normals pointing inward, and a mish mash of messy stuff inside which unluckliy is connected to both the inner and outer surface (not trivial to clean up after meshing is already done) .

In short, I receive bad meshes to begin with. Ideally I want only the outer surfaces, with or without holes capped. I know there are very expensive tools out there for meshing but I need to stay away from external dependencies. I’ve developed many tricks for cleaning existing meshes but there are still cases which are difficult, and not-so-efficient methods takes a lot of processing power.

I’d be very interested in learning from experts about meshing direclty from pointclouds.

// Rolf

Hi Joseph,

So in your case, if I may paraphrase to see if I understand correctly, you are interested in methods of measuring specific areas on mesh surfaces? Please let me know if you have something else in mind.

The webinar is in early planning at the moment, I will make sure to give you an update when I’m further into the process.

Thank you,
Seth

Hi Rolf,

What you do does sound painstaking and probably requires a lot of patience! So, methods of meshing from point clouds, got it.

Thanks,
Seth

I’ve almost never had to deal with 3D scan data so I can’t really suggest anything from experience, but I’m interested in this webinar anyway.

Hi Seth,

I am currently trying to learn about 3D scanning with Rhino V6, and would love to hear what you have to say on it! Did you ever end up doing the webinar and if so, is there a replay available somewhere?

Thanks,
Jordan

Hi Seth,
If this project is still live I would be interested in techniques for comparing a scanned mesh (Handyscan 3D) with an original geometry in Rhino. I tend to use surfaces + polysurfaces in rhino with specific points of interest which are manifested as holes or tubes in the finished geometry, working on detailed models of the order of 0.1m to 5m dimensions with a target precision of the order of 1mm.

Hi @Dancergraham, once the 3D scan is oriented to the Rhino part, you can use _PointDeviation to make measures from all mesh points to a surface or polysurface.

_
c.

2 Likes

Hi Jordan, I will be coming back to this in the month of February. Stay tuned.

2 Likes