Depicting an object with dashed lines

Looking for a setting so that all of the lines depicting an object display in a specific linetype (usually hidden) when I place it on a layer assigned that linetype, in an ortho view. I’d like to create a view mode that enables this - preferably wire frame, but maybe others can be set for this also.

I am not succeeding with an objects (closed solid polysurface, in this case) whose properties are set “Linetype: By Layer”. Curves on the same layer, with the same setting, are dashed as desired.

Hoping to figure this one out today, thanks.

Hello - Hm, I think you’re out of luck - at least I do not see a way to do this in plain Rhino. There is no linetype setting for surfaces and solids;Technical has a hard coded hidden line but it is only used for lines that are calculated as hidden…

-Pascal

There is in object properties for surfaces and solids. WIth the full range of linetype options. That’s not intended to control the objects linetype?

There used to be a way to achieve this in Display Modes in Rhino 5 ( not exposed to UI, but could be hand-or script-edited in ini file ). Unfortunately in V6 it is gone for now since the display pipeline rewrite.

If you are in V5, it can be done.

Thankyou Jarek. I thought I’d done this before, but I guess not, because I’ve never edited script for the purpose. I think it’s a very handy tool to have, though.

This is pretty lame, but here’s a box in Technical display, with an extra surface in front of it so all the lines are “hidden”.

2 Likes

Are you in V5 or V6 ?

That’s V6

thanks John, I was trying to figure out which version is @djhg using now…

He’s in V6

I hope it’s not that lame; I’ve been circling around it msyelf as a workaround too.

Yes, V6. For awhile I was on release candidates but now that I am using Rhino in my work I’m just getting the official releases. I’m using: 6.8.18219.371, 2018-08-07

I have found a workaround.

say you have two breps - you want to show one with dashed lines - just duplicate the edges of this brep, make them dashed lines, and then mesh the brep, show it without edges and a transparent material…