Define a strict number of faces on a complex rhino surface

Hi guys,

I need your help, I am learning Grasshopper for a couple of weeks now for a project and get struggles on this crucial step:
I would need to create a specific number of identical facets on a complex rhino surface (triangles, hexagonal, etc).

Here is the surface made using network of curves.

I first try to play with points and facets to get this

However I can’t have a regular pattern instead of this random one.

So I had a look at the Lunchbox plugin to get this bellow, however I got this top point where all the lines go to

When I am looking for a sort of Geodesic dome like

But applied to my specific surface. Any tip or advice on that?

Cheers!

and get struggles on this crucial step:

Because it is one of the most difficult things to solve in computational design, and there is not one right answer, but I can tell you it wont be as easy as a few components and a few weeks of experience. People do entire PhD’s on this topic.

Any tip or advice on that?

More than likely it is impossible to make an arbitrary geometry into perfectly equal shaped faceted surfaces (especially planar). This is just how geometry works. You need to determine how much deviation you are okay with and go from there. Look into things like circle packing, evolutionary algorithms, and k-means clustering to minimize the amount of unique panels.

See the Museo Soumaya as a case study about panel rationalization: Museo Soumaya: Facade Design to Fabrication by Gehry Technologies - Issuu

3 Likes

Thanks Michael for your reply - cool I will have a look to it. It looks quite serious!

Ok and how about a mesh quite “close” to my surface with curves than I can project to?

Kangaroo has some good mesh rationalization examples floating around (along with mesh machine), but again more than likely the faces wont all be exactly the same, another option is to make all same faces and make up the difference with different gap sizes between panels. The museum example uses a mix of clusters of same panels and varied gap sizes.

From a technical point of view, do you know how I could get rid of that curve or point?

Any mesh treatment to my surface is doing this.
Thanks!

do you know how I could get rid of that curve or point

Yes, by not using the methods you are using, Lunchbox stuff follows nurbs surface UV’s. I would use kangaroo 2 and circle pack on the surface and construct panels from those circles (like they did on the museum I sent you)

See here the circle packing on surface example file: Kangaroo2 additional examples - Grasshopper