Data Tree problem

I have a list of points and a list of curves that have the same structure. I used Curve Closest Point in the image here, I have 2 points in the branch 1;5;0 and 7 curve in the branch 1;5;0. What I want is each point to be matched with each of 7 curves, resulting 1;5;0;0 - 1;5;0;1 - 1;5;0;… - 1;5;0;7. But as you can see, it doesn’t automatically add another level of branches and gave me only 7 values. What is to be done to get the desired result?
Many thanks. Sorry for my bad English.

Random Cells Merged Facade.gh (90.7 KB)

Too bad because your definition is useless without it. Rather complicated too.

Yeah :frowning: . Thanks for having a look. But my problem is only occur at the Curve Closest Point I think :s

No way to know that without the plugin. You could internalize the output of the plugin so that others can see what’s going on.

3. Attach minimal versions of all the relevant files

Sorry for the inconvenience I’ve cause. I’ve baked some result to minimized the file down to the problem, so I will attach a Rhino file also :smile: The data structure is simpler but data structure problem is the same. Here in the branch 1;6 of curves tree I have 8 curves, and in the branch 1;6 in the points tree I have 2 points. So the result should be 1;6;0 and 1;6;1, each branch have 8 results, right? :s
Thanks for replying so fast. Much appreciated!

Data Tree problem.3dm (172.6 KB)
Data Tree problem.gh (20.7 KB)

Is this your question?

Why do you say that should be the result when it isn’t? LoL - sorry for misunderstanding if I did :slight_smile: Can you clarify?

After Dispatch you’re left with the two points, prior to that (equality component boolean pattern output) your branch did have 8 things in it, out of which 2 are true.

It can be difficult to understand other peoples’ code… Is this what you’re after?

Data Tree_2024_Jul3a.gh (23.1 KB)

This does the same thing, but better?

Data Tree_2024_Jul3b.gh (11.0 KB)

Had some troubles when I tried to internalize geometry so avoided that.

Well that’s why I’m asking - to see if I am understand the way Grasshopper works correctly. Sorry if the question sounds dumb :smile: I’m newbie. The problem I have with the data tree is that I thought each items of the points list should be match with each items of the curves list so the Curve Closest Point works properly. :smile:

1 Like

The second files that you made was exactly what I was going after. I was trying to find the edges that touch the concave points of the geometries. This cost me all day and you made it so simple. Thankyou so much!

Update: I finally identified the problem with the data tree, but not before @Joseph_Oster saved me the trouble. His script does the same thing without dealing with the problem, but I will just upload the solution it here anyway for anybody comes after. This is the longest list behaviour, so I just stack data of both lists, based on list length of each other. Hope that helps someone…

Keeping track of data trees at every step is crucial. But even more important is having a clear understanding of the objective :bangbang:

1 Like

Not at all, I just didn’t know what the question/problem is/was - I bet I’m the fool.

It definitely does, lol, but I think that’s a different thing relative to your question.

Lol that’s the question! :clown_face:

I will keep that in mind. <3
Thanks again. I’m really appreciate.

My problem was with the data tree, I just didn’t think someone would understand what I’m trying to do here (which @Joseph_Oster did). I found the problem with the data tree anyway and I updated it, hope that clarifies things :smile: Cheers bro!

1 Like

I definitely don’t!
But then I’m definitely not as smart as Joseph!

That I kind of get :slight_smile:

Here’s another fun way just to add to the problem?
Data Tree problem.gh (27.5 KB)

“Edges from points that don’t touch the convex hull of the geometries”
Cheers!

1 Like

Hey that’s a cool way to do it. I definitely need that. Thanks a lot man!

1 Like