Curvature lines on a Surface

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to get the Curvature line grid on a surface using GHpython. So in the script, I am finding one set of Principal Curvature lines using 2 Planes (formed using Normal Vector and Curvature vector at a point on surface) which bisects the surface. Then later I am diving the set of Principal Curvature lines into points and applying the same logic on the set of divison points. But I am getting weird results. it seems like the curvature is flipping its direction. It would be very kind if someone can have a look at the script and help me with the mistakes.

Principal Curvature Lines.gh (13.0 KB)

Thanking you
Anand Shah

Hi Anand,

Well, not flipping but rapidly changing. Inspect your surface with the _Curvature command and you’ll see. Note that on a sphere the minimum and maximum curvature is equal.
Jess

1 Like

Hi Jess,

Thank you very much for your response. it would be really kind you if you could help me find a possible way to get something like the attached image ( from H.Pottmann book on Architectural Geometry) , a grid of best fit principal curvature lines on a surface.

Thanking you again,
Anand

Hi Anand,
you may try these scripts: https://www.food4rhino.com/app/rhino-open-projects
I think the pure python stuff still works fine.
Jess

1 Like

Hey Anand, I wonder if you reached an answer cause I’ve been having the same question and I couldn’t find anything yet.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks!