Crystallon Workshop: May 15-17, 2019
10 AM–6 PM
McNeel Europe S.L.
Roger de Flor, 32-34 bajos
08018 Barcelona (Spain)
This intensive 3-day course will focus on understanding and generating functional lattice structures using Rhino, Grasshopper and the Crystallon plugin. The course will cover the fundamental understanding of lattice structures and their real-world applications, generating the necessary geometry using Crystallon, simulation and optimization using FEA and evolutionary tools, and meshing/optimization for 3D printing and production. At the finish of the class, not only will you understand the tools but how to incorporate them into your workflow and create functional models ready for production.
Day 1: Fundamentals
- What is a lattice structure? A brief history of crystallography and inspiration from nature.
- Why use a lattice structure? Applications and industry case studies.
- Understanding the different types of lattice structures and their applications.
- Anatomy of a lattice structure and introduction to the Crystallon tools.
Day 2: The Crystallon Tool Set
- Voxelization - Generating uniform and conformal cells using BREPs, meshes, surfaces or curves
- Populate - Populating cells with a lattice and using data to morph between structures
- Clean up - Trimming a lattice and removing unnecessary beams
- Modify - Creating a skin and connecting the lattice to the skin
- Thicken - Use FEA/Optimization data to assign thickness to beams and shells
- Meshing - Various tools for preparing an STL file ready for 3D printing
Day 3: Application Demos
- Uniform beam lattice demo (Structural light-weighting–for mechanical parts)
- Conformal beam lattice demo (Energy absorption–3D printed footwear)
- Conformal shell demo – (Structural FDM–3D printed chair)
- Conformal shell demo - (Heat transfer–Conformal cooling channels for injection molding)
Course Fee: EUR 795 (+VAT); full-time students, university teachers (proof of status required) and remote attendees will get a 50% discount. Please note your seat is only confirmed once your payment has cleared.
Max. Number of Participants: 10 (If there is no quorum, the course will be canceled April 30.)
Educational seats are limited. Sign up now by contacting McNeel Europe!