CPU for Rhino 7 for Windows

Hello,

I just changed the CPU and some other parts on my PC and Rhino 7 got really slow when making a model with many small parts, doing Flow command, creating mesh from NURBS, exploding and joining a model with many small parts.
I couldn’t figure out why my new PC is slow. Does anyone know why?
Also can someone recommend me a CPU that’s faster than i7-7700 for Rhino 7?
I’d appreciate your help.

My new PC specs:
i7 12700K 12 cores 20 threads 3.6 GHz
RAM: G Skill 16GB 2x8GB DDR4 3200

My older PC specs:
i7 7700K 4 cores 8 threads 4.2 GHz
RAM: G Skill 16GB 2 x8GB DDR4 2133

I use Windows10 64bit and the same Graphic Card for old and new PC: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

Thank you.

Run the Rhino command SystemInfo and post the results here.

Did you also change the motherboard? Do you have overclocking enabled?

A i7 12700K should run up to 5.0 MHz with overclocking enabled. 3.6 MHz is the base speed for the performance cores.

All or almost all of Rhino does not multi-thread which means the number of cores is generally irrelevant.

Hi David,
Thank you for your response.
Systeminfo results here:

Windows 10.0.19043 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 770 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 10-13-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 - Build 30.0.101.1002
> Integrated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #1

Secondary graphics devices.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 9-30-2020 (M-D-Y).
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- There are no monitors attached to this device!

ATTENTION:
Desktop is using the slower, less reliable integrated graphics device and probably needs a configuration change.

There are 2 monitors detected, but none of them are connected to any of the accelerated graphics video ports.

• Recommended: Unplug one of the monitors and plug it into one of the video ports on this device:
    [NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070]
    …and then using Windows’ Display Settings, make that monitor the “Main Display”.
  • Any hardware configuration or cabling changes you make will require that you restart Rhino.

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: Intel
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 - Build 30.0.101.1002
Driver Date: 10-13-2021
Driver Version: 30.0.101.1002
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 1 GB

Yes I also changed the motherboard.
Old motherboard is: ASUS TUF Z270 Mark2
My new motherboard is: ASUS Prime Z690-P
I don’t know how to enable overclocking. Should I do that?

Thank you,
Young

It sounds like you have your monitors plugged into the motherboard, not the graphics card. An easy mistake to make.

Yes, if you want up to 5.0 MHz rather than the base 3.6 MHz.

Two alternatives:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/processors/core/performance-maximizer.html

The motherboard manual should describe how to change the BIOS for overclocking.

Awesome. Thank you for your suggestions!!
I fixed my monitor thing and downloaded the intel software. I hope this will speed up Rhino7.

But I still wonder why my older PC was faster. I didn’t use overclocking before.
I can still exchange the CPU to a different one within the exchange period. I cannot go back to i7 7700 because Windows11 wouldn’t accept it though.
Would you still keep the i7 12700, or which CPU would you get if it was you for Rhino7?

I downloaded a wrong version of Performance Maximizer.
i7 12700 doesn’t seem to be supported for the software yet.

You noticed the part about it not even using your video card? That likely explains a lot.

Also note there is no actual reason to expect a gigantic dramatic increase in performance from your upgrade, not in any real world situation. Overclocking isn’t going to do anything like at all unless you spend a ton of money on a top shelf cooling solution, the CPU will already overclock itself to within an inch of it’s life automatically, that’s basically all the performance upgrades over the past several years have consisted of.

How is the system with the mounitor connected to the Nvidia GPU?

@user2309 Looking through this thread again I think overclocking may be enabled on you new system. The factory setup of the BIOS is likely to have it enabled.
Have you actually checked the frequency your system is running at, or is your first post just a comparison of specifications? My guess is the difference in overall performance you are seeing was the result of not having the monitor connected to the Nvidia GPU. Without it connected you might as well not have the GPU installed.

Is your comparison with your old system based on the same model on both systems?

I think Rhino is performing faster now. Thank you so much for the suggestion. I’m not knowledgeable about computer so your suggestion helped me a lot.
My PC’s frequency is nearly 4 GHz when I’m using Rhino, and Rhino is using a lot of RAM that 16GB is almost full.
The list I put up on the first thread is for the comparison between my new PC’s spec and older PC’s spec.

Yes, the comparison is based on the same situation using the different CPU, RAM, and motherboard.

Thank you Jim for your advice. I think connecting monitor to the graphic card did help.