Rhino file not working (working VERY slow) with larger files (133MB)

Hi! , I recently bought a new CPU to work with Rhino(7) and it is working very slow, I’m having a very hard time and also showing all black for command section and other sections. I’ve already tried the command, and this is what I have for now. If you can help me I really appreciate it!

Rhino 7 SR26 2023-1-9 (Rhino 7, 7.26.23009.07001, Git hash:master @ 92abcf7c453c78a236526390d91d0ac1f6779143)
License type: Educational Lab License, build 2023-01-09
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10 (10.0.19045 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 1-21-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 1.1.0
> Integrated graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: Off
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 1.1 (software driver)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: Microsoft Corporation
Render version: 0.0
Shading Language: Not supported
Driver Date: NA
Driver Version: NA
Maximum Texture size: 1024 x 1024
Z-Buffer depth: 32 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 64 MB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.26.23009.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.26.23009.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.26.23009.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.26.23009.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.26.23009.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Thread tagged under windows hardware.
What CPU you are using? And are you using the internal GPU without a dedicated one?

okay It seems that you are using one of the Haswell CPUs, these are still good CPUs but the integrated GPU within them is completely outdated. It is way below the minimum requirements for Rhino to operate, and I suggest 2 paths for you:
1- use a dedicated GPU, you can buy a really good one from the last five years and will rhino just fine.
2- Try to lower your OpenGL settings , Go to Options > View > OpenGL and reduce the level to the lowest:

This is a very old GPU. I would see if an updated driver exists though I somewhat doubt it does. Right now Rhino doesn’t even see your GPU and is running in the worst possible software mode.

If possible, I would suggest investing in a new graphics card.

Thank you very much for your quick reply!

I’m not actually sure about the GPU, but I bought my CPU through Amazon - HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Desktop, Intel Core i7 4770 3.4Ghz, 32GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB SSD Hard Drive, USB 3.0, DVDRW, Windows 10 Pro (Renewed)

yes, this PC is from 2013, (I really miss that time), as much as I appreciate renewed hardware concept, it is considerably underpowered to run rhino.
your PC doesn’t have a dedicated video card, so If rhino usage is a priority this PC won’t help at all, you can try install a mid-range GPU like Nvidia GTX 1080 and install it into this PC, this may actually make it running well. since you have 32GB or Ram. (Make sure that your Power Supply can handle additional power draw from the GPU). you can ask one of your Geeky Friends to install a dedicated GPU on this machine.

Thanks again for your comment, I don’t think I can install a GPU for now and since I’m still in the amazon returning period; I’m thinking of buying another CPU:) Will you have any recommendations for that?

You need something with a discrete video card, the best Nvidia you can afford.

I don’t know if buying refurbished computers off Amazon is a good idea for this, at all. Local listings may be better.

Changing CPUs will not improve the situation. You need to improve your GPU by installing a discrete video card.

It should take less than 5 minutes to install an Nvidia GPU card. Any techy friend can do it for you. I don’t think for the same price range ($250) you can get a good machine with a discrete GPU. You may look for Desktop computers of $600 or more.

I’m sorry But I have no idea about these, Should I buy the Nvidia GPU or is it something I can download on my computer?

Weerawanni,

Please review the System Requirements for running Rhino. This will inform your Video Card choices/options.

• OpenGL 4.1 capable video card is recommended.
  • 4 GB Video RAM or more recommended.

You need to buy a physical piece of hardware and install it on your machine. This 6 minute video shows you the process.

I will try that with a friend, Thank you very much for your help!

1 Like

I just looked into the specs, people are reporting that this computer comes with a 250w power supply, which is not enough to run a dedicated GPU, making things more complicated, HP uses their proprietary design for their power supply units makes it much harder for you to get a larger power supply , so If you are still within the return period, I’d probably return it and get a slightly better PC with a dedicated GPU.

I actually didn’t know that and i didn’t have the time to buy a GPU and fix it (because of the work I have to get done) So I’ve already ordered a CPU that was recommended by HP. Thank you again for your help:)

1 Like