Complex 'Populate Geometry' causes Rhino to Crash in sr13

I think I’ve found my very first bug in Grasshopper that leads to a full crash!

I’ve narrowed down the bug to the Populate Geometry component, which crashes Rhino when trying to attach one point to each item in a long list of surfaces (irregardless of whether I input a cleaned tree or a list).

Can anyone verify this bug is replicateable on different machines? Clicking ok closes Rhino+Gh.

Attached is a minimal version of the script, no .3dm file needed.

Rhino 6 SR13 2019-2-27 (Rhino 6, 6.13.19058.371, Git hash:master @ 17cd8b51accbe17dd04b48028f49d5e77a67f17b)

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

Hybrid graphics system.
Primary display: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 8-15-2018 (M-D-Y).
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (NVidia) Memory: 6GB, Driver date: 12-11-2018 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 417.35

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 12-11-2018
Driver Version:
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 6 GB

I have some complicated geometry that I want to populate with one point each for the purpose of testing inside/outside inclusion. Evaluate surface will not work as these are thin trimmed surfaces. Previously PopGeometry it was taking about half a second to calculate. Incidentally, does anyone have a more efficient idea of how to do this?


It seems to have only occurred when I tried to split a Brep with a cutter outside the range of the Brep. Moving the Brep stopped the crash.

I spoke too soon, still having this problem today.

Hi @Patt,

I think you forgot to attach the script.


Oh dear, sorry. Script should be attached below.

No you keep interrupting the attaching process. I think you have to wait until that text changes into the actual link before posting. Of course if the file contains lots and lots of internalised data that might be a while.

I actually find the file only crashes with a vast amount of data, over the 20mb size limit of Discord. I’m rethinking my original post as finding more of a limitation rather than a bug. Using the Area component to find a point on a surface has been much more robust and faster for my script than Populate Geometry.