Closed curves packing

Hello everyone,
I’m working on packing closed curves inside a rectangle. Specifically, I want to pack curves that look like ellipses while controlling their aspect ratios and their distribution within the rectangle. I tried using a Grasshopper script designed for packing circles, but I haven’t been able to prevent the ellipses from intersecting. The picture below illustrates what I’m trying to achieve.

CURVES PACKING.gh (33.8 KB)

Hello
for what is worth my tool is not so bad, but is not nesting as objects cloud be duplicated and/or all objects are not used.

No rotation

ellipsoid_pack-MODIF_LD.gh (13.3 KB)

Duplicate post with this one

Some others tests (resolution 1600 pixels, ~50 s calculation)
RandomPlace = false
Random object = true

RandomPlace = true
Random object = true

No rotation
RandomPlace = false
Random object = false

generating 50 random ellipses and turning them by 90°
RandomPlace = false
Random object = false

generating 50 random ellipses and turning them by 90° and 45°
RandomPlace = false
Random object = false

ellipsoid_pack-MODIF_LD_0_45_90deg.gh (14.7 KB)

6 Likes

Dear @laurent_delrieu
MODIFIE.gh (15.2 KB)

Your work is magnificent and has really helped me. I tried using the Grasshopper file you provided and made some modifications to get two lists of elliptical curves, each with a specific aspect ratio. However, I encountered an issue: I am unable to control the number of ellipses. I would like to have 100 ellipses with one specific aspect ratio and 100 ellipses with another specific aspect ratio, without them intersecting. Is there any way to achieve this?

Hello
this is not possible with my tool but as my tool outputs more ellipses you could suppress some of them.

MODIFIE.gh (14.9 KB)

1 Like

Dear @laurent_delrieu
you really helped me here, thank you so much