Climate Studio Radiance trans Material

Hi there!

I am trying to do a Radiance Rendering and Point in Time Illuminance with Climate Studio.
For this I am trying to create a Radiance trans material.

(attatched file as .txt should be opened with a code editor and saved as .rad)

If I load this into Climate Studio Material Library, it is recognized as a trans material. However, when trying to make a Radiance Rendering it gives an error.

Does anybody have experience with this and can help me?

tyvek.txt (83 Bytes)

Cheers,
Miru

Hi -
Please visit https://discourse.ladybug.tools/ for questions related to the Ladybug Tools.
-wim

Hi Wim,

Thank you for the reply!

Unfortunately, this is not a Ladybug Tools problem. It is a Climate Studio ( ClimateStudio — Solemma) problem.

This Plug-in for Rhino is relatively new and doesn’t have its own forum. Or at least I couldn’t find one.

On the other hand a short UPDATE on the trans materials for Radiance:

They seem quite difficult to generate also due to the lack of documentation on actual spectrometry data of these materials. Nevertheless, I was fortunate enough to have been shown this widget that helps with trans material generation. Checking the Radiance Manual Vol 2 (1999) is useful for understanding how to set up the parameters.

Maybe this helps some of you out there.

Cherrs,
Miru

Hi Miruna,
I have similar issue than yours. I am trying to model a diffuse glazing as realistic as possible but there is not much information about it or cut sheets of this type of glazing with inputs that can be use in Radiance.
I have try to use the link for the app that you share but unfortunately is not available any more. Would it be possible for you to share it with me? did you figure out other possible methods?
Thanks

Hi @julioamodia89

For understandin Radiance and trans material generation I consulted this PDF, in which the widget was referenced.
DavidMead.pdf (8.5 MB)

And the Widget you can find here:
TransWidget.wdgt.zip (371.6 KB)
I used this to generate my trans materials back then. It seamed to work, the renderings looked quite good, but there is unfortunately no way I can say for sure that what I did was precisely accurate.

I haven’t used this in the past 2 years, so I’m not up to date with the current state of the development of trans materials in Radiance. You should definitely get in touch with someone who is using this program on a daily basis or with some developers, they have the best insight on this stuff (check out GitHub)

I hope this helps for now!

Good luck!
cheers

Miru

1 Like

Thank you for the response @miruna.vecerdi I will definitely check that out.
Cheers,

Julio

Hi Miru,

May I know what code editor you used to save it as .rad file?

Thanks.

Regards,

Hari

Hi Hari,

I think I just used either a text file or Atom, and then saved the code with the extension .rad

Cheers

1 Like

Hi Miru,

Thanks!!

Cheers

Hello everyone,

just jump here to help…
Here is one publication on how to create the radiance material:
171010_Proceedings_Structural_Membranes2017_Munich_Ebook2017_Paper_Cremers_Marx.pdf (4.9 MB)

void trans Trans_Material_ETFE_printed
7 0.44 0.44 0.44 0.29 0.0 0.16 0.40

void trans Trans_Material_ETFE
7 0.98 0.98 0.98 0.08 0.0 0.99 0.98

Happy simulations!
Maria

1 Like