Chat.openai.com and python scripting... a good teacher?

So… if you haven’t tested out OpenAI’s chat bot yet then now is a good time.
I asked it this:

Can you make a python script that randomly makes a string with number, small letters, big letters and where the string is 10 digits long?

Sure, here is a simple Python script that will generate a random string of length 10 containing a combination of numbers, lowercase and uppercase letters:

import string
import random

# Generate a random string of length 10
random_string = ''.join(random.choices(string.ascii_letters + string.digits, k=10))

print(random_string)

This script uses the string module’s ascii_letters and digits constants to create a string of all the possible letters and digits, which it then uses with the random.choices() function to randomly choose 10 characters from the string and join them together into a single string.

Note that this script uses the random.choices() function, which is only available in Python 3.6 and later versions. If you are using an older version of Python, you can use the random.choice() function instead, like this:

import string
import random

# Generate a random string of length 10
random_string = ''.join([random.choice(string.ascii_letters + string.digits) for _ in range(10)])

print(random_string)

This script creates a list of 10 random characters by repeatedly calling the random.choice() function and passing it the string of all possible letters and digits. It then uses the join() method to join the characters together into a single string.

The coolest thing is that it explains so well, take another example where I ask for prime calculations and then refer to a part of the code:

Can you make a python script that calculates prime numbers?

Yes, here is a simple Python script that calculates prime numbers:

# Define a function that calculates prime numbers
def is_prime(n):
    # If the number is less than 2, it is not prime
    if n < 2:
        return False

# Check if the number is divisible by any number from 2 to n - 1
    for i in range(2, n):
        if n % i == 0:
            return False

# If the number is not divisible by any number from 2 to n - 1, it is prime
    return True

# Test the function by calculating some prime numbers
test_numbers = [2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29]
for number in test_numbers:
    if is_prime(number):
        print(f'{number} is a prime number')
    else:
        print(f'{number} is not a prime number')

This script defines a function is_prime() that takes a number n as input and returns True if the number is prime, and False if it is not. The function uses a simple algorithm to check if the number is prime by dividing it by all the numbers from 2 to n - 1 and checking if the remainder is zero. If the number is not divisible by any of these numbers, it is considered prime.

The script then uses the is_prime() function to calculate whether a list of test numbers are prime or not, and prints the result for each number.

Note that this is a very basic algorithm for calculating prime numbers, and it may not be efficient for large numbers. There are more advanced algorithms for calculating prime numbers that are more efficient and faster, but this simple algorithm is easy to understand and can be useful for small numbers.

Can you explain what n % i == 0 means?

Certainly. In Python, the % symbol is the modulo operator, which calculates the remainder of a division operation. For example, the expression 10 % 3 calculates the remainder of 10 divided by 3, which is 1.

In the context of the is_prime() function, the n % i == 0 expression checks if the number n is divisible by the number i without a remainder. If the remainder is zero, it means that n is divisible by i, which in turn means that n is not a prime number (since a prime number is only divisible by 1 and itself).

For example, if n is 10 and i is 3, the expression 10 % 3 calculates the remainder of 10 divided by 3, which is 1. Since the remainder is not zero, the expression 10 % 3 == 0 evaluates to False, indicating that 10 is not divisible by 3.

On the other hand, if n is 10 and i is 2, the expression 10 % 2 calculates the remainder of 10 divided by 2, which is 0. Since the remainder is zero, the expression 10 % 2 == 0 evaluates to True, indicating that 10 is divisible by 2.

In the is_prime() function, the for loop iterates over all the numbers from 2 to n - 1 and checks if n is divisible by each number. If n is divisible by any of these numbers, the function returns False to indicate that n is not a prime number. If n is not divisible by any of these numbers, the function returns True to indicate that n is a prime number.

I hope this explanation helps. Let me know if you have any other questions about the % operator or the is_prime() function.

2 Likes

And a nice touch is that if you ask nicely then it responds accordingly. And it keeps the current chat in memory, so when I later asked about how pi is calculated then it chose to give another python example, as that was the context earlier. I can see how our kids, elderly and lonely people will have digital friends in the future. It also makes great bedtime stories if you are in a hurry. And if I ask in Norwegian then it replies in fluent, well articulated Norwegian too, but it thinks it only speak in English, so there probably is a translation level above the AI’s operating level. But it is great!

Have you seen what it does with image generation?

It’s incredible ! And it works on my old pc with a GTX serie 10…

1 Like

also see this topic:

my guess: chatGPT was trained on github and others…

sometimes so code looks unbelievable clear (but is totally wrong)

1 Like

Yes, Midjourneys lates update is amazing, and have tested Dalee too. And I have SD running localy, amazing that any image only takes 20 seconds to imagine/render.

And for some great fun look at these :smile:

2 Likes

I started a new topic for the fun - not to pollute the scripting category…

Keep in mind:

Actually, it’s the first time for me that an AI is really useful for my daily work.

It’s not so much about asking to do my work or teaching me about a particular technology. Instead, it’s really useful in those cases where you need to find an entry point to a particular problem, especially if there is a general lack of good or on-the-point documentation. Especially if you need to solve a problem which is common, but not common to your type of work, the results are great. Another interesting use-case is if you post some code and ask what’s wrong with it. However, as mentioned by the Stack Overflow maintainers, you also get wrong answers (looking right quite often). But this is the same with any information on the internet. You need to continue questioning the quality of the answer. So it is definitely not a teacher to trust.

3 Likes

I saw recently that NVidia offers an “inlive” img2img tool.