Change default material folder

Hello, I am currently trying to streamline my workflow, which involves to get rid of as many clicks as possible, especially for often repeated tasks.

here comes the question:
Is it possible to tell rhino to open a custom folder when choosing a new material template after hitting the “create new material” button from the material editor ? Right now i am taken to this folder:
C:\Users\jonas\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\5.0\Localization\en-US\Render Content
which is not exactly where I would like to go, since we organize our materials on our server…

is there any way to customise this (or even a few other…) default paths?

thank you for any feedback

best regards

Andreas

1 Like

I think, with command _Options -> settings under Rhino Options -> Libraries -> Custom ( your network drive path)

thank you! -> nice!

… Well unfortunately this does not seem to work…
despite my new entry (c:/Rhino-Octane-Mats/) the editor still takes me to C:\Users\jonas\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\5.0\Localization\en-US\Render Content

please see pictures…

is this a bug?

best

Andreas

p.s. I am using the octane render plugin, in case this is important…

push …

Please…

… maybe someone at McNeel might be interested in solving this?

Is little other than 100% optimal, but you can test this with drag and drop:
(tested with Rhino render and not with Octane !)
Video begin’s with command _Libraries

thanks eddi, will try this ASAP

Resurrecting this old thread because in V7 there doesn’t seem to be a fix for this yet… I say yet because I have asked about this since v3 and never gotten an answer I can relate to as to why its hard coded to an obscure location…

@eddi’s libraries vs material ‘hack’ seems to be the only way… thanks for that, but inefficient to my eye.

Is there ANY way to change the default rhino materials/textures/etc that all seem oddly buried under appdata to a user defined location??

I can use a symbolic link and if anyone else is looking for this the command in win10 is: mklink /D “source” “target” where source is your appdata localization and target is where your data is… but you have to delete the source for this command to work.

Definitely a sledge-hammer approach where a simple setting in the app would be preferred. But it does remove the need to change location everytime. Once command line to run on each computer once.

1 Like