Cavalier Section Perspective

Hi there,

In architecture and landscape architecture school, we tend to use the following drawings.
Plan, section, perspective, isometric, axonometric (Military; plan privilege, manual distortion)

One other drawing type which I find myself using more and more is the Section Cavalier Perspective.

You can draw the section to scale, then draw any receding lines at 45 deg, parallel, and to scale. Through this, one can understand many things to scale.

The axon requires: 45deg rotate, then side view shear for things to look correct in plan.

What is the process for section cavalier perspective?
Is there a way to implement this distortion in a view? Same with Axon?

Best,
Jeremy

I don’t think cavalier section is possible. There is few controls when it comes the perspective’s vanishing points.

I think that it may not be currently possible.
Definitely would be super useful imo.

CHeers

I would say you want to use a Front orthographic view after having sheared the model to the left 45 deg. from the Top view and 45 deg “up” from the Right.

Place a clipping plane in the front view to make your sections.

1 Like

Also:

-w

2 Likes

You mean “shearing” as transformation of the actual geometry?

1 Like

Yes. Like the Axonometric, that is the only way to achieve this type of illustration. In this case to get the correct measures it is somewhat complicated - you can Scale 1D in the right viewport at .7071 before shearing to have the projected measures along the diagonal in the Front viewport be correct.

But that looks rather funky to me, I prefer to scale by 0.5

Or even better scale by 0.35355 (0.5 * 0.7071) to get a “true” classic cabinet drawing where the actual length of the diagonals is 50% of the horizontal/vertical lines.

Those are the projected dimensions in 2D - the actual 3D lengths are different.

1 Like

Interesting idea. Thank you for sharing. the idea of changing geometry never crossed my mind before but I guess It won’t be that wrong once you use make2D on it.

Thank you again .

Yes, unfortunately this is a destructive method, always to be done on a copy of the file for illustration purposes.

2 Likes

Made a video along these lines haha:

1 Like

Good Channel, and good video thank you for sharing,

1 Like