Cannot install ELK plugin to grasshopper

Hello guys, I was trying to install elk plugin and put it on the libraries gh folder but still doesn’t load whenever i open GH.

Anyone knows what is happening?

Did you unblock the gha file? Windows will usually block executables that came from untrusted sources (i.e. anything that wasn’t an installer)

You can unblock files in Explorer via the Properties in the file menu.

1 Like

i did this now, and it appeared an “extra” tab but only with 3 elk funtions…

3 functions are what it is right now.

How do you figure that?

i have rhino 6 installed, maybe is because of that?

That shouldn’t have anything to do with it, no. The picture above is from RH6.

The newer version of Elk has only 3 buttons indeed. The access to the data is hidden inside the component.

Darn, you’re right!
… and now I remember that I have the newer version on my other laptop…
Sorry for adding to confusion!

I have the same problem installing ELK 2 on my Rhino 6.
I’ve done as instructed and made sure that i’ve unblocked the ZIP before extracting but to no avail.

of if anyone has an alternative method using ELK 1 to extract building height from the OSM file ?

An error occured during GHA assembly loading:
Path: C:\Users\Nicholas\AppData\Roaming\Grasshopper\Libraries\Elk2.gha
Exception System.IO.FileNotFoundException:
Message: Could not load file or assembly ‘ElkLib, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null’ or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Hi - have you tried downloading and unblocking once more?
Also, make sure that the ElkLib.dll file is in your %appdata%/Grasshopper/Libraries/ folder.

As for Elk 1:
Something like this should work:

PS - I deleted your double post in that other thread…

I have the same problem installing ELK 0 ,ELK1 ,ELK 2, on my Rhino 6.
I’ve done as instructed and made sure that i’ve unblocked the ZIP before extracting but to no avail. also I tried to unblock each by each after pasting in the component files . and after that reset the rhino and grasshopper but there is not appear any component up of the page by Elk name

Hi - the ELK components appear under the “Extra” tab. There is no “Elk” tab.
HTH,
wim

I mean like ladybug and dragonfly or kangaroo and the other plugins, when installing them I will see the name of them and the components under them but that not happen for Elk.
it appears that not installed and if I search ELK in grasshopper, I cannot find anything related to elk

That’s correct - there is no “Elk” tab. The Elk components are under the “Extra” tab:

That’s also correct, the components are not named Elk_something:

ok can someone please explain - step by step - how I load Elk into grashopper… I have tried and failed.

i have the Elk folder currently on desktop with 26 files

thank you

install:

• Download the ZIP file containing all of the Elk and GDAL library files.
  • Right-click the ZIP file > Properties > make sure there is no “blocked” button
  • Unzip the downloaded file
  • In Grasshopper, choose File > Special Folders > Components folder.
  • Elk’s Topography component uses the Geospatial Data Abstraction Library to read the GeoTIFF and IMG files so it will contain a larger number of files that pervious versions. For this reason it is recommended that you copy the Elk folder with all of it’s GHA and DLL files to this Libraries folder rather than the individual files.
  • Restart Rhino and Grasshopper

Sure I have read that… I don’t understand the folder section ?

elk%20install%20BVR
elk%20install%20BVR%201 elk%20install%20BVR%202 elk%20install%20BVR%203

I hope this helps you better. Follow this and Copy Paste the extracted elk folder to grasshopper libraries folder. Restart Rhino+Grasshopper check in extra tab in grasshopper. @rfollett

1 Like

This is the process for installing any grasshopper plugin which have Gha file format- Comes under Components Floder.
If it is a user object file format just paste into User Object Floder instead of Components Floder.

1 Like