Camera is Dipping

I have a camera that I am spinning around an object using “Named Views” as I was having too much trouble with camera paths.
Anyway in two instances as the camera tweens from one view to the other the camera does a very quick dip then comes back up to the height it was prior to the dip. I’ve looked through the viewport properties for all of the cameras involved and they have the same height assigned to each, so I don’t see anything that might be making them dip. Any ideas??

If you use Bongo’s Curve Editor you’ll likely see that the curves (controlled by the tweening options) showing how the camera and camera target move around from view to view aren’t very smooth. The default settings seem to just lead to a rather jumpy camera. To get a nice smooth motion around an object camera paths would be the best option. What trouble were you having with them?

Hi Jim,
Thanks for replying.
I just find the entire thing to be the most counter-intuitive thing I’ve tried to do with any McNeel product! Let’s say I have a cube with a freeform curve coming from its center. That curve is joined to an arc. The starting camera is a saved view giving me a nice perspective 3/4 view of the cube.
In my brain I should be able to have the camera back zoom out along the track and then turntable 180° on the arc portion of the path. I setup my viewport with the saved view; then in “view Constraints” select “Look Along” I’ve tried picking close to the cube or at the other end of the path, and either way the camera flips 180° on me.

Is it the fact that I am trying to reverse the camera down the path to make it look like a zoom out that is causing me the problems?

Poor Scott at McNeel support has been great trying to walk me through this, but I’m just not getting it for some reason. I’m usually the guy in any computer course who is the first to figure things out, and help the rest of the students, but I’m really lost trying to do something that should be pretty simple.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Whatever your view is set to has nothing to do with the camera constraints.

“Look along” means the camera is locked to the curve like it’s mounted on a roller-coaster. What you want is “Camera to Path” COMBINED WITH (otherwise your camera is just going to stay pointing whatever direction it was when it started) “Target to Path” or “Target to Object” (which I would set as a point object that you can adjust, not the thing you’re trying to zoom around. ShowCamera is a big help with figuring out how to place the paths or points.